The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Heavy Duty Door... and more?
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Heavy Duty Door... and more?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to install a new heavy door leading into my live room. The studio was originally built my tenants of long ago and with the passage the time the door no longer sits straight on the frame, and there is a large air gap (about an inch) under the door when closed. The door (solid wood) does a good job, but the poor frame condition does a bad job.

Anyway, can anyone suggest a good heavy door, possibly even metal that I can install? How much would such a door cost, and could you point out some manufacturer. I plan on consulting with a professional as well, but I'd like to do some more research first.

Here's a bit more background:
My studio is located inside a 120+ year old house and the live room is located in the rear of the building in a row of townhouses (I am the last townhouse in this row). Anyway I have recently had a bit of trouble with too much sound escaping "through the wall" into my neighbors place. My house was built first, and when looking at the front of the house from the street, the following row was built to the left. I assumed that both houses would have their own respective exterior walls, but I may have assumed wrong because the neighbor has recently starting complaining of hearing bass leakage through his walls. Check out the rough floor plan I attached.

It seems to me that the most offensive area for leakage is out of the crap door, across the 8 foot space (a kitchenette), and then resonating the neighboring wall (which i have heard when i stand next to it. Standing waves collect there like crazy, would bass traps help OUTside the room to suck up the excess in this trouble spot?). The frequencies that he has been complaining about are low frequencies (big surprise).

By the way, the offending sound is from rock bands recording in the room.

I'm surprised to find that he can hear anything at all through a door (albeit not tight but still a door), more drywall, 6 inches of brick, and then more brick on his side and his own drywall and insulation. ?????
Attached Thumbnails
Heavy Duty Door... and more?-rough-main-floor-plan.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

I'm installing a prehung exterior steel door with magna seal for air tight seal.
Still experimenting with closers. Pull handles are surface mounted. Trying not to mortise anywhere on the door. No holes!!.
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Is there a name brand to that door that you described? And what is the rough price of such a door?
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

I just used solid core maple doors, but the magic was when I used the Zero International seals and cam-lift hinges. That's where your weak points are... the perimeter. I have 6 in my facility and they work great!

Also you might want to consider a communicating door.. with about a 6-8" gap.

Just do a search on doors. I've posted a few photos there.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRoach View Post
Is there a name brand to that door that you described? And what is the rough price of such a door?
Therma Tru exterior steel doors...prehung...with magna seal...22" window...I believe we had an extended jam...no hardware or holes...unpainted. Around $380. per door delivered.
Old 25th January 2008
JWL
Lives for gear

Rod Gervais's book has a great section on studio doors. It's worth picking up in this case, even just for the doors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search