The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how would you treat this live room?
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

how would you treat this live room?

The room will be used for drums (ceilings very low hence using more ambient techniques rather than overheads) guitars etc. Will it be necessary to use thick panels such as glen's 244 or would large coverage with 242 be adequate. I have a seperate control room which will be kitted out with large numbers of 244's some real traps and home made superchunks.

thanks in advance
Pete
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthflaw View Post

The room will be used for drums (ceilings very low hence using more ambient techniques rather than overheads) guitars etc. Will it be necessary to use thick panels such as glen's 244 or would large coverage with 242 be adequate. I have a seperate control room which will be kitted out with large numbers of 244's some real traps and home made superchunks.

thanks in advance
Pete
Pete,
You will want to use the 244s straddling corners for the bass trapping and the 242s for the over all reflections in the room. Can you tell us where you plan on setting up the drums and things? I will say that around the drums I would put as many 242s as possible to help with any kind of nasty reflections coming from close walls/ceilings. All and all though you will need both.

Glenn
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

glenn,
I normally set the drums dead centre in the room in an attempt to reduce reflections getting back into the mics. The problem with straddling corners is the corners are only just over three feet high and i believe the 244's are about 4 foot? I could superchunk the corners as I have in the control room, I was unaware that a live room requires such rigorous bass trapping and was worried more about mid/high reflections.

I was planning on puting about 6 242's on the plasterboard ceiling and a few 244's on the walls. The dimensions of the room are a bit odd but it is approximately 15ft by 15ft for the most of the room. The peak height is 91" but there is only a small area of flat ceiling (about 34") and the rest is made up of the slope you can see. Does this look like a particularly troublesome shape? The control room is similar but more symetrical:

Old 21st January 2008
Gear Guru

I think you are on to a good start. I do want to point out that you can get the 244 custom sized to 3 feet to fit into those areas if you would like.

Tell you what since you are buying our products email me the drawings and pictures of your room. Let us go over it and work one on one to get everything hammered out for you.

Glenn
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Sidewalls meeting roof are corners too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search