The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Project/Private Studio Acoustic Treatment Consultation?
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Project/Private Studio Acoustic Treatment Consultation?

Does anyone offer this service in the New York area that wouldn't cost me more than the cost of all of my equipment ten fold?

I'm looking for some basic yet near professional or at the very least experienced guidance on treatment to control the frequency chaos of my room. An onsite visit and a discussion on my options of what kind of treatment to use and where I should be placing it would be ideal.

If this type of service doesn't exist, it would be a great business to start as there are probably a thousand private/non commercial studios scattered all around NYC that would benefit from an affordable service like this is.

Sadly at the moment I just don't have the capacity to do all the research and learn the science of it all.

MM
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm View Post
Does anyone offer this service in the New York area that wouldn't cost me more than the cost of all of my equipment ten fold?

I'm looking for some basic yet near professional or at the very least experienced guidance on treatment to control the frequency chaos of my room. An onsite visit and a discussion on my options of what kind of treatment to use and where I should be placing it would be ideal.

If this type of service doesn't exist, it would be a great business to start as there are probably a thousand private/non commercial studios scattered all around NYC that would benefit from an affordable service like this is.

Sadly at the moment I just don't have the capacity to do all the research and learn the science of it all.

MM
There is a lot of guys in New York, but just a FYI companies like ourselves do room setups all the time over the internet/phone. We would just ask you send us pictures and or drawings of the room and we can go from there. Oh and the best part is it is part of the service when buying our products so it cost you nothing.

Glenn
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm View Post
I do this all the time for free for customers. As Glenn said, there are high-end pros who will come out and assess your room for an equally high-end fee. If you're not made of money, and you have to get the treatment anyway, you might as well take advantage of this free service that good treatment companies offer.

--Ethan
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

I agree with Ethan and Glenn, if you are on a budget, get the consult from the vendors since they're likely to give you high quality advice and high quality products. if you have someone (like me, for example) come out on-site, its going to cost you money and and while you'll end up with detailed design documentation, you'll still need to go out and build something or purchase the products, or hire someone to do installation, anyways. if your requirements are more complex than simply adding room treatments, then it may pay to hire someone. as far as cheap in our area... not likely since there are many folks in NYC (and around) who do it for fees and it doesn't pay (someone in the business) to do it for free (often) or low pricing (since product vendors provide high quality advice for free...).
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Glenn,

I know you're not far from me. I'd really like to come by some time and visit if you're up for it some weekend. I bet I'd learn a lot.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search