The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
my first consultation job
Old 21st December 2007
Gear Nut

my first consultation job

Nice..
building for a father to play music in the basement with his son and friends.

Low ceiling/concrete floor..
I was wondering what's the best thing under the drums.
Do I build a little platform...? do I just place wood on the floor over some sheetblock kind of stuff or rubber u boats?

thanks
Old 21st December 2007
Lives for gear

A thick rug is more than enough.
IKEA | Rugs | Large & medium rugs | KARBY | Rug
Old 21st December 2007
Lives for gear

Sheetblok is almost useless, and it's much more expensive than the results it produces.

I can't tell you exactly what to do... It depends on what goals your guy has.

Floating the floor is no easy task, and you must be sure you want to do it before you go any further. Unless extreme isolation is a must, then you have something to think about.

Depending on what's already on the floor, you are probably going to need to lay a subfloor before the wood goes down.

There are tons of factors at play. What are the main goals of the project?
Old 21st December 2007
Gear Nut

goal

keep sound from getting upstairs that's about the main goal
and to keep the drum sound tight
carpet over concrete right no carpet is being pulled up
Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Best way to isolate two surfaces, is mass sandwiched between two resilient layers. Think about something like this: A thick yoga mat, a thick lead plate, and another thick yoga mat. I am not saying this is what you should do; the example is just to explain the concept. Another thing to consider is, drums have to stand on a solid surface, Air cavities under the drums act like bass traps for some frequencies and natural amplifier for others. good luck
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

a proper drum platform will be massive enough to prevent acting like a bass trap or resonating and remove structure borne sound from the equation (i.e. directly from the drum into the floor). but the walls and ceilings and any openings all need to be sealed, and mass and associated damping added to reduce the amount of sound making its way out of the room. without a lot of details its not really possible to tell you what needs to be done.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search