The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Glass pricing? Dynamics Plugins
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Glass pricing?

Does anybody know how much 1/2" thick glass would be? About 2'X4'.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

If this glass is for a studio go with laminated glass. You can get laminated glass with a thicker plastic middle layer which is even better for sound deadening. Depending on where the glass is going (a door for example or next to a door) it may need to be tempered for safety and the building codes are VERY specific about that. Talk to a local glass shop about what you need. If you want to save some money bid the work out and go with the low bidder. Just have the scope of work - materials spelled out so the shops will be bidding apples to apples. I had some extra 1" thick bullet resistant glass left over from a jail job that I gave to a friend for his studio redesign to use between the control room/live room and control room/vocal booth. That stuff was made of five layers and would have cost a fortune to buy but since it was scrap and free we designed the wall's window openings around it. It came out nice and it sure did block the sound, plus now he can record rap in safety.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Yeah, I am thinking of using glass in between the control room and live room. (in the future, when I'm building my pro studio)
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Guru

FYI, even Tree Sound Studio does not have a window for studio 11. You might be much better off just getting a video set up.

Glenn
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

no glass=no bad first reflection
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

If possible, angele the glass min 15 degrees. Helps you with direct reflections while recording a vocalist placed with its face towards the glass.

If possible, make a least 2 walls with 2 glass windows. One window is normally about 40db...

When you choose 2 windwows, take 2 different, one with air and one with plastic inside, so the resonance frequenz will be different.

I bought 2 windows 2,5x1,2 meters and paid 600€... i think that was pretty cheap. Other manufacturers wanted 800-900€
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

we got a bit of double glazed which ended up an inch with the gap that was 2'x2' for £20
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

I am shopping glass right now.
here is a quote I received:
3'x5'x1/2"laminated = $450
4'x7'x1/2" lam = $840
4'x7'x3/8" lami = $612

san fancisco bay area from a patio door and winow shop (I am buying some sliding glass doors also)

hope this helps..
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear
glass shopping

Basic rule of thumb for glass in a studio wall: approximately match the sound transmission characteristics of your wall. If you over-spec the glass you pay too much (way too much) and if you over-spec the wall, you are paying a lot for a heavy wall and not getting the benefit (sound is transmitting through your under-spec'd glass). Match them to each other as well as to your budget.

Thick glass tends to increase LF performance, while distance between the panes improves mid and HF performance (both within limits). Distance between spaced glass can increase mid-frequency range performance cheaper than almost any other trick. Many studio/control room glass installations are not spaced for optimal STC (maybe, looking to get more room footage?). It costs almost nothing, if it's done on initial construction.

Is anyone doing no-glass studio installs with video monitors and cameras for both ends? There are potential improvements at low cost and problems to overcome.

Cheers.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Here is the glass that I just had put in.
It's 1" lam. that's been mitered 15degrees. The control room side is 3/4" lam. with at 15degree tilt from top to bottom. The space between them varies from 1 ft. to about 7". The window size is 7' x 4'. This was the biggest PITA of the whole project.

Regards,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Glass pricing?-untitled.jpg  
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
It's 1" lam. that's been mitered 15degrees. The control room side is 3/4" lam. with at 15degree tilt from top to bottom. The space between them varies from 1 ft. to about 7". The window size is 7' x 4'. This was the biggest PITA of the whole project.

Regards,
Bruce
If you don't mind me asking Bruce, what did you pay for the 2 sheets of glass?
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
If you don't mind me asking Bruce, what did you pay for the 2 sheets of glass?
The 1" was $2775.00... most of it was labor because they had to miter the glass. The 3/4" was $1250.00.. each had ground edges and included install.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post

Regards,
Bruce
I've noticed that people install glass both with the top tipped out (about 15 degrees, as mentioned) and with the bottom tipped out (about the same angle).

The reason I've heard for top tipped out is to reduce glare from high-mounted lighting. The reason for bottom tipped out given is to bounce horizontal-origin sound to a highly absorbent ceiling system (floors are usually hard). Both ways give nice non-parallel space between the glass. Any commentary on this from acousticians, glass/optics people, or studio designers?

Is anti-glare coating for a big pane a possibility? Is anyone using or considering using anti-shatter films from 3M?

Cheers.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazticstar View Post
no glass=no bad first reflection
No glass = not being able to see the artist.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Bruce;
do you have any more pics from your studio build?
We just finished the first layer of drywall this week!
moving right along....
Old 30th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
FYI, even Tree Sound Studio does not have a window for studio 11. You might be much better off just getting a video set up.

Glenn
I hate video set ups in a studio situation. Dehumanizing and more like a jail than a creative environment. Two way, eye to eye communication can be essential to the session.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceman View Post
Hi Bruce;
do you have any more pics from your studio build?
We just finished the first layer of drywall this week!
moving right along....
Here is a link to some of the const. photos.

Studio Build

Regards,
Bruce
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Nut

Talking

Bruce,

Man, those are some great pictures! Thanks.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
No glass = not being able to see the artist.
In irregular spaces not originally designed for recording, a video link is better than nothing. Lots of folks use spaces that don't share a wall that could have a window installed, or it's temporary (days or weeks) use only, without demolition or building rights. The gear for a studio for tracking a 5-piece band will fit in the back of a mini-van. Portable and lightweight gear encourages this "hit & run" style in whatever space can be had.

Not saying that it's good, saying that it IS.
Old 1st October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus13 View Post
In irregular spaces not originally designed for recording, a video link is better than nothing. Lots of folks use spaces that don't share a wall that could have a window installed, or it's temporary (days or weeks) use only, without demolition or building rights. The gear for a studio for tracking a 5-piece band will fit in the back of a mini-van. Portable and lightweight gear encourages this "hit & run" style in whatever space can be had.

Good points. I just don't like it when the video route is taken when a window could have been used....but everything you bring up is very valid.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus13 View Post

Very true. But my point was more that if you're room is well tuned enough to begin with that you're really worrying about the reflection from the window killing the environment, then you probably aren't doing hit-and-run recording

I like the method you talked about however. Renting a beach house, taking the gear there, and making it happen isn't a bad thing at all. Truthfully at that point I think most people just do the "everyone in one room" including the console, or they just say screw the video link. But if you got the camera already, sure Why not?

I personally want to rent a house on Cap Cod in the middle of Feb (they've gotta be stupid cheap then) and bash out an album in an odd isolation of a frozen cape.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search