The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Another construction thread. Will this work?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Another construction thread. Will this work?

I have a 23'x8'2'' area beside my garage that is currently not being used and I'd like to build it out into a studio. I think it will be tight though. I know some might argue I'd be better with one large room and an isolation booth, but I really need the ability to record a band all together live. My question is - will this work and how would you treat this room. This was a workshop so there's no treatment at all except open walls with some insulation and peg board. The iso booth will have to be built in the garage. I've still got to park my cars in here as well, so it can't be too big. Thoughts.... By the way, I live in a nearly zero traffic area in the country, so isolation from external noise is not a major issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Another construction thread. Will this work?-studio1.jpg   Another construction thread. Will this work?-studiosch.jpg   Another construction thread. Will this work?-dimensions1.jpg  
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

My home studio is a similar size. I also toyed with the idea of having two rooms, but as the build progressed I changed my mind and opted for a one room space. It is just too small to be comfortable.
Use your garage space. I wish I had that amount of spare room.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't know if I'd call the garage space spare room. I park there and there are bikes, lawnmowers etc. in there as well. Anyone else....
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

A few thoughts...

Your control room needs to be symmetrical. You've got the right idea angling the left wall to avoid standing waves, but you need to build a false wall on the right to match it. Otherwise you'll screw up your stereo image. You'll also probably need a bass trap on the back wall for that size room.

You can get some great sounds from a nice big room. Why don't you treat the walls and ceiling of the garage with some 703 and buy a rug that you can roll up when you're not tracking? That way you could have 2 iso booths and a nice little live room for drums.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
A few thoughts...

Your control room needs to be symmetrical. You've got the right idea angling the left wall to avoid standing waves, but you need to build a false wall on the right to match it. Otherwise you'll screw up your stereo image. You'll also probably need a bass trap on the back wall for that size room.

You can get some great sounds from a nice big room. Why don't you treat the walls and ceiling of the garage with some 703 and buy a rug that you can roll up when you're not tracking? That way you could have 2 iso booths and a nice little live room for drums.
Good point on the control room. I suppose I could put a small closet behind the false wallthumbsup...

Another good point on the drums. We had actually thought of this. My garage is huge though and I don't know if I can afford enough 703 to treat the whole thing. I also don't know if my better half will allow it. We debated building some sort of removable isolation (like a folding frame with a cloud we could mount on top) so we could record drums in the garage though and I think it's a good thought. My concern is that I'd have to use a lot of bass trapping in such a small room like I have drawn to get a good sound and decent isolation. I don't know how much room will be left after adding traps.....
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Just thought of this place.Might give you a few ideas.
Seriously small drum boothheh
Marks Container
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

if putting in a false wall won't work, consider purchasing or making some baffles/gobos to use when mixing, that you can also move around to whereever needed when tracking. This way you could create an environment that is better suited to mixing, but then move them out of the way when done, and not use up a lot of room with a false wall.

Something like the attack wall from ASC is probably more than you'd like to spend. however, purchasing a couple of 4" or 6" thick Panels from GIK and putting them on stands angled to the left and right of you would be a nice way to make a big improvement for minimal cash.

what's your plan for the drum room? it's not a very big space, so it's probably best to keep it pretty dry. I'd probably use a little diffusion in the room though, in order to help keep it from completely sucking the life out of everything. if you have a wood floor, go completely soft on the ceiling - lots of absorption. spread a combination of absorption and diffusion around the walls, and maybe a little diffusion on the ceiling. Some people say that difusion in such a smll room is pointless, but i personally still feel that it helps keep a more natural, but still very controlled, sound.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainstages View Post
if putting in a false wall won't work, consider purchasing or making some baffles/gobos to use when mixing, that you can also move around to whereever needed when tracking. This way you could create an environment that is better suited to mixing, but then move them out of the way when done, and not use up a lot of room with a false wall.

Something like the attack wall from ASC is probably more than you'd like to spend. however, purchasing a couple of 4" or 6" thick Panels from GIK and putting them on stands angled to the left and right of you would be a nice way to make a big improvement for minimal cash.

what's your plan for the drum room? it's not a very big space, so it's probably best to keep it pretty dry. I'd probably use a little diffusion in the room though, in order to help keep it from completely sucking the life out of everything. if you have a wood floor, go completely soft on the ceiling - lots of absorption. spread a combination of absorption and diffusion around the walls, and maybe a little diffusion on the ceiling. Some people say that difusion in such a smll room is pointless, but i personally still feel that it helps keep a more natural, but still very controlled, sound.
I like the idea of using something portable. What I can't show on the graphic is that there is an attic opening I'll have to close. This is the reason for the angled wall being where it is in the room as there will be doors closing up the attic space in the control room just to that side of the wall. I think the false wall is a doable thing and the storage will be nice. I also might put my computer box behind the false wall to keep down noise.

Currently there is just concrete slab out there. I was planning on prefab hardwoods unless someone had another opinion. I honestly, had not though about the ceiling. It is a 9ft ceiling and is currently sheet rock...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

So, here's the revised plan with the false wall in the control room. One more question would be what to use for the walls. on the wall that will run the length of the control room and drum room opposite the garage, the bottom 3 ft. of the wall is cinder block and the top 6ft. is open frame with insulation. Would you guys recommend 2 layers of 703/705 or something else. The rest of the walls are open framed up wall as well. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Another construction thread. Will this work?-studiorev3d.jpg   Another construction thread. Will this work?-studioschrev.jpg  
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Your control room design looks good, but is it deep enough once you have added any acoustic treatment? I reckon your chair will be right at the back once you have treated the front and rear walls. Splayed walls are great but are again space consuming.

I'd be very nice to the wife and try and grab a little more space, or maybe turn the control room round so you are working length ways instead.

I appreciate you dont want to hear this, but your room size is so close to mine and I know first hand how much the room will close up.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I hear ya'. Today I've been researching AC prices and it looks like I'll spend at least $3K on the unit and installation. The good news is that I could add more square footage if I wanted to and the AC will handle it. The question is if I want to take in more of the garage. We'll just have to see. For now, I'm curious as to whether the set up I've proposed will work. Oh, and I don't think I'll have enough room if I turn the control room around....
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quick update,
My wife asked tonite if I'd rather spend $3-4K on an HVAC unit or more gear. I decided more gear and have made alternate plans. I'm open to any feedback. The revised plans are posted here: Recording Studio Design :: View topic - first post. Need new studio advice. Thanks!
I really don't track drums that often, so building gobos and doing it in the foyer is not a huge deal. I'm open to opinions again. Thanks guys....
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
will this work and how would you treat this room.
I'd say that's way too small for a control room. Why can't you record bands in the same room? That saves needing a talk-back, and an extra pair of speakers to blast the band for playback, and also gives you a much better sounding control room once you get bass traps and other treatment.

--Ethan
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Post you drawings on johnlsayers.com. You'll get alot of info from the forum there. Just be sure to included ceiling heights and wall dimensions.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I'd say that's way too small for a control room. Why can't you record bands in the same room? That saves needing a talk-back, and an extra pair of speakers to blast the band for playback, and also gives you a much better sounding control room once you get bass traps and other treatment.

--Ethan
I agree, but we record a lot of acoustic guitars requiring isolation and I'd like to be able to record them with the rest of the band(s). I suppose the other option would be to keep the room intact and build an iso booth on one wall. ???
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
I agree, but we record a lot of acoustic guitars requiring isolation and I'd like to be able to record them with the rest of the band(s). I suppose the other option would be to keep the room intact and build an iso booth on one wall. ???
Even better is a well-made absorbing gobo. If you'll forgive the blatant self-promotion, the gobo below (click the link) will do a great job for you, cost less than building walls, and will also avoid the boxy sound that all small booths suffer.

--Ethan

Old 23rd August 2007
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search