The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
To clear up my confusion on my outbuilding
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

To clear up my confusion on my outbuilding

Howdy folks!

I have been working on my recording room setup for a year now and have buried myself in Rod's book, John L Sayers site, and this one to get a grasp on my build and I am finally to the point of actually building it. I would greatly appreciate some final thoughts before I launch into the build, and I haven't been able to find a reference to my specific situation.

My needs:
A quiet place to record voice overs as well as songs- I sing, play guitar and keyboard. We live on a loud street in Los Angeles and while this is in the backyard, where it's quieter, there's still a lot of noise from the racing cars, firetrucks, motorcycles and 18 wheelers. Sigh.

My assets:
I had a concrete pad poured as the base of my outbuilding.
I have a 6'x8' whisper room that I currently record in. It's on the back porch because there is no room inside the house for it.
I am a woodworker, so I've got the tools and familiarity. I also do electric work.

The plan-
I am building an outbuilding on top of that concrete pad that will house the whisper room, effectively having a room within a room.

The question:

From what I'm seeing, I *think* this is a 2 leaf system, but I want to check with y'all to make sure.

From the outer exterior wall ---> inside of whisper room (WR)

siding-->building paper/wrap-->sheathing/OSB-->studs with double 5/8 drywall sandwiched in the bays, then insulation stuffed over that and strapped to the studs-->whisper room (which would be 1 leaf)

roof would be
shingles-->felt paper-->1/2" OSB-->joists-->insulation between joists??

Does all this look right to you? Am I missing something? Is anything redundant or could be done much better? I'm all ears.

Addendum:
Also, anything I should be watching out for or to be sure to include with this build? The WR has a dinky little fan system that puts air into the room, but it's not fantastic. I think I will be trying to figure out a way to have a window unit or something that will keep the outbuilding cool, which will then pump through the WR fan intake. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do this.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom! I'm excited to finally get this off the ground (and off the porch) : )
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Welcome to Gearspace! You have already mastered the most important part, that being my tagline. The more details the better we can help. For starters Gervais Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros. Like my tagline, ask lots of questions. And most importantly, enjoy!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Input on 2 leaf system?

<bump>
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
if the whisper room is the long term approach, then constructing the outbuilding like a normal residential structure will be fine. if the interior of the building is properly ventilated and cooled/heated, then the WR fan should deal with the air exchange if it's sufficient now. make sure you're addressing fresh air exchange, window AC and splits don't do that (or very little for window AC), so plan on an ERV as well as the temperature control. factor in humidity regulation and filtration as well.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for that response!
By construct like a normal building, do you mean I don't need to do the drywall sandwiched between the studs, etc?
Just want to make sure I'm not creating additional leafs in this build.
TIA!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…