The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HELP! Acustic Panels
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

HELP! Acustic Panels

Hello everyone. Some time ago I lost my studio to a flood. Since then, I have been renting an apartment. In one room I decided to make room for vocal recording. I did something like the PIB https://gikacoustics.eu/product/pib-...n-vocal-booth/
The panels are 2m high, the width of one piece is 1m and the thickness of the acoustic panel is 10mm Isover Pt80 wool. A demonstrative drawing is provided in the appendix. I stand in the opposite way to you in the PIB photo, and behind the microphone I have sE reflexion filter Space. The problem is the vocals are boomy. Sound example in the attachment. Please help. How can I deal with it? What to change in the arrangement of these panels? My gear is: Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core, Warm Audio TB12 Warm audio Wa87 Antelope Edge Solo
Attached Thumbnails
HELP! Acustic Panels-vocal-booth.jpg   HELP! Acustic Panels-acustic-panels.jpg  
Attached Files

Acustic Panels Freestyle.mp3 (402.1 KB, 124 views)

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
You can move around the room to find a better location, move away from the mic (to reduce proximity effect), add bass trapping to the room, use a hpf on the mic/pre/daw, use a different mic.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I plan to do 3 big bass traps. I'd put them behind my back. In places where paneteen form angles. Would this option work?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawel โžก๏ธ
I plan to do 3 big bass traps. I'd put them behind my back. In places where paneteen form angles. Would this option work?
It can. There's no general way to answer that. Id personally find the best spot in the room and work the mic distance. Room modes are pretty narrow and moving a little can make a big difference.

Bass trapping is usually not a bad idea. Its a matter of using the right type of trap, putting it in the right location, and having enough of them to make a dent.

Your first step is to identify the problem frequency or frequencies

Then determine if the problem actually is the recording space, or if its your monitoring, or both.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Maybe someone else will help?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Sorry to hear about the flood, that's a tough situation.

I think the point here is nobody can really help you with your room if you don't first measure and document what the problems in that room are. That will inform the approach, since studio design and treatment layout is almost entirely dependent on measurement data.

Get a measurement mic and download Room EQ Wizard and run some tests. I believe there are stickies in this subforum that describe how to do this very thing. When you're done you can post the results and then people can do much more to help. A sketch of the room with dimensions would help too.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I'll try to get this microphone and take measurements.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I have already ordered a measuring microphone. I searched the internet but found no answer. How to accurately measure the place where I record, since the monitors are in a different place (behind the acoustic panels)?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Hmm, well my thought would be set up one speaker in the position that a singer's mouth would be when they are tracking. As for the mic, you could put it where you'd normally put the microphone for vocal tracking. That would put it quite close to the speaker I assume, but it is omnidirectional.
๐Ÿ“ Reply