The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass traps around my LR speakers ?
Old 27th October 2020
Here for the gear

Bass traps around my LR speakers ?

Hey guys, i m sorry if i m posting in the wrong thread, i m new here and this is my first post.
I m finishing my home theatre build and due to dimension restriction i cant put bass traps on the front corners without making my screen significantly smaller , so i m thinking if its a good idea to make a rectangular superchunk bass traps (60cm x 30cm) from floor to ceiling and have an opening in them to put my LR speakers.
Would that be beneficial ? Or i m wasting my time and money ?
I attached pictures of the front and back of my room.
My room is 4.5m L x 3.3m W x 2.5m H.
It has a weird slope ceiling.
I treated it with 5cm panels +5cm air gap accross most reflections and 10cm panels on my rear corners as bass traps.
Speakers are Arendals 1723 monitors + Arendal SUB 2.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass traps around my LR speakers ?-20201024_175213.jpg   Bass traps around my LR speakers ?-20201024_140937.jpg  
Old 27th October 2020
Welcome to GS!

Corner treatment will help but with what I know now, I would first try and get the most important surface (usually the rear wall) totally treated. If you need to set priorities...

Of course, you should measure the room with Room EQ Wizard (starting at a low enough frequency because this is a home cinema) so we could see how strong room modes are.
Old 27th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Welcome to GS!

Corner treatment will help but with what I know now, I would first try and get the most important surface (usually the rear wall) totally treated. If you need to set priorities...

Of course, you should measure the room with Room EQ Wizard (starting at a low enough frequency because this is a home cinema) so we could see how strong room modes are.
Thank you.

I have treatment on the rear wall but its where my projectors are and the door to the room, i did put a 5cm panel on the door with 10cm corner bass traps also in both corners and 10cm panel under the projectors, not sure how i can treat it more in that case. ( i have a picture attached of the back wall )
I so use rew and will take measurements, the sound is significantly better though after panles was installed, the voices are a lot cleaner and a lot of small details werent as clear before.
Old 28th October 2020
Sorry but 10 cm is not a bass trap.

Anyway, looking forward to your measurements.
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Sorry but 10 cm is not a bass trap.

Anyway, looking forward to your measurements.
Ive read a lot on these forums that 4inchs panels straddled in the corner makes a good bass trap, is that wrong?
I know the thicker the better for bass trap though,
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnaik4 View Post
Ive read a lot on these forums that 4inchs panels straddled in the corner makes a good bass trap, is that wrong?
Most rooms are large enough to where your room modes are in the 30-60 Hz region and 4 in of treatment (porous absorber) will probably not do much to that.

You can play with this http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php and simulate materials but it all really starts with measuring your room so you can see at what frequencies and how strong the modes are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnaik4 View Post
I know the thicker the better for bass trap though,
Up to a point, probably.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear