The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I know nothing about acoustic treatment - tell me how f'd I am with these rooms
Old 17th September 2020
I know nothing about acoustic treatment - tell me how f'd I am with these rooms

Title says it all. I'm renting this house month-to-month during COVID so paying for acoustic treatment for these rooms seems like a waste of cash. If there are some quick fixes that aren't a fortune other than blankets and a REFLEXION filter, please let me know. Electric guitars sound fine close-mic'd, but acoustic guitars and vocals are pretty resonant with reflections without the blankets and Reflexion filter.

Pic 1
Pic 2 of living room
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Aside from what you mentioned, You could build some gobos and take them with you to your next spot.

Beyond that physically placing yourself in a flattering location in the room, and using mic technique and polar patterns to your advantage is about all you can do.
Old 17th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Aside from what you mentioned, You could build some gobos and take them with you to your next spot.

Beyond that physically placing yourself in a flattering location in the room, and using mic technique and polar patterns to your advantage is about all you can do.

Any recommendation on how to use gobos? Do I need one behind and one in front of me/the mic? What's the difference between a gobo and bass trap/do I need all three? Sorry again for the newb questions.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by istealhotelsoap View Post
Any recommendation on how to use gobos? Do I need one behind and one in front of me/the mic? What's the difference between a gobo and bass trap/do I need all three? Sorry again for the newb questions.
A gobo is essentially just a portable panel, it can be absorbative, reflective, or both. Its thickness and composition determine whether it dips low and traps bass or not.

It would be common to have gobos behind and to the sides of you, and possibly in front of you as well. It just depends on how much unwanted stuff is bleeding into the mics.

If your just tracking then you have the luxury of moving yourself, the gobos, and mics to the most flattering area of the room.

If your mixing you will need bass trapping for sure. Tracking you might not.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear