The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Turning My Toyota Camry into a Vocal Booth! Will it be as effective as it is novel?
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Turning My Toyota Camry into a Vocal Booth! Will it be as effective as it is novel?

hey guys, I am deciding on the most cost effective way to build a small vocal booth for rap vocals, and I have been thinking about converting my old ass Toyota Camry into a vocal booth!

The idea so far is to run a dynamic mic directly into my mpc live, I sit in the front passenger seat with the mpc, the rapper sits in the middle back seat, and the mic boom arm extends between the two front seats to where he can rap into it. THEN, I have acoustic foam cut to the exact dimensions of the windows, front windscreen and back windscreen, and attach them to suction cups so that they can be put up and removed quickly and easily.

My reasoning is that my seats are all soft material, not leather, so they should be relatively sound absorbent anyway, and by covering all glass surfaces with acoustic foam, there shouldn't be much opportunity for sound to bounce and make the vocals sound bad. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the space will be too small.

I think I like this idea mostly because of how cool and novel it seems in my mind, and I'm just hoping that it will also create good acoustics for recording vocals! Any thoughts?
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Sorry, no. You will still have modes.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

i would be really interested in hearing a close mic hip hop vocal in a camry vs a big room. These kinds of empirical tests are very interesting to me as you get to sonically put the science with a sound.

Since your rig is portable..... lets hear it!
📝 Reply