The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mineral wool thickness and "flat absorboion"
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Mineral wool thickness and "flat absorboion"

I pmailed with:

Quote:
Hi! I am doing my best to get informed before doing some DIY to my home studio, and I believe you have said a few times in some threads that you need 300mm mineral wool to get flat absorbtion down to about 50Hz. I have been using the acousticmodelling.com calculator to try a lot of different things, and the graphs it peovides do not demonstrate the behaviour you're describing.

So my first assumption is that the fault is with my understanding of the mechanics of sub bass and air pressure in a room, or something like this.

When you say "flat absorbtion", where is your threshold for defining it as "flat"? Is there some kind of absorbtion that isn't reflected in the graph?

These graphs also seem to show that increasing the thickness stops making a significant difference at some point, which I don't think is representative of the truth either, but I can't seem to find any easy ways to calculate this. Should I rely on your "minimum 7% of wavelength" rule?
I mean absorption coefficients greater than 1.0. See RD1992-11 fig 1. See fig. 2 to compare with calculated results.
Attached Files
Old 16th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
I pmailed with:

I mean absorption coefficients greater than 1.0. See RD1992-11 fig 1. See fig. 2 to compare with calculated results.
This is excellent, and pretty funny considering I read this entire thing years ago too, qnd never understood the implications!
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
This is excellent, and pretty funny considering I read this entire thing years ago too, qnd never understood the implications!
Enjoy!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear