The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Flush Mount design for small room
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Flush Mount design for small room

Hi all,

I'm in the design process of improving my mixing room and am looking at flush-mounting my Barefoot MM45s to improve the bass response.

The room is a slightly odd shape with a shorter front wall and wider back with slightly splayed walls between (not designed as RFZ, just how it is in the warehouse)

Front: 214
L side: 593
R side: 601
Rear: 341
Height: 326

My treatment thus far is L&R wall first reflection absorption, big cloud (not hardbacked, but plan to hard-back it to help with RFZ). Back wall absorption (50m RW6 with airgap, needs improving)

REW mdat and screenshots attached. I've attached a spectrogram of the room's noise-floor, there's a generator outside that you can faintly hear in the room and it's messing with the waterfall plot. 72hz and 295hz are the worst offenders.

My plan is to build a de-coupled soffit baffle with a 30mm MDF baffle following Thomas Barefoots design here: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=12&t=718
There will be a 30cm gap at the bottom and a larger gap at the top (around 90cm) to allow sound behind. Behind will be a ton of bass trapping, the current plan is 90cm wide floor to ceiling superchunks and then hangers in the free space (can't stuff it with pink fully because I need ventilation for the monitors)

Apart from encouraging any advice and criticism of my plan, I have a question around the design of the flush-mount baffle: Should I make a gap between them or have them solidly meet together in a V shape? (see attached sketches)
My concern with having them meet is that there will be some unpredictable diffraction at the point of the V which will make a mess at my LP. My concern with having a gap is that I break the "infinite baffle" and leave an edge for diffraction.

I'm leaning towards gap with light absorption to allow sound to travel behind the baffle into my bass trapping but was wondering if I'm in line with the theory here.

Please see the attached pics to get an idea of the space and design.

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Flush Mount design for small room-waterfall.jpg   Flush Mount design for small room-rt60.jpg   Flush Mount design for small room-spl.jpg   Flush Mount design for small room-noise-floor-20-320hz.jpg   Flush Mount design for small room-flush2.jpg  

Flush Mount design for small room-flush1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat LP 0.mdat (9.03 MB, 8 views)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any opinions from the flush-mounters out there regarding the gap in the centre between the ballfes?

My instinct is to leave a gap with a low GSR rockwool between like RW45.

Hangers will be something like one of the designs below, leaning towards fewer but bigger hangers.
Attached Thumbnails
Flush Mount design for small room-hangers-2.jpg   Flush Mount design for small room-hangers.jpg  
📝 Reply