The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?

Hi from Spain! Sorry in advance for the long post!

This is my first post but I have been lurking Gearslutz for many years, it is my go to place for getting info on gear and is in part responsible for my guitar pedal hoarding "problem". I have also visited the acoustics subforum many times and I am familiar with the most basic concepts I think.

So I am moving to a new house next December, and I was planning how to set my stuff up. I am going to use one of the rooms as my home studio. I make music for the media and record and mix my own stuff. So this won't be a professional studio but still trying to get the best out of it.

I wanted to ask you guys' opinion on desk/monitor placement, and basic treatment.

A few important things about the room:

- Slanted wooden ceiling
- Column in the corner is a chimney that comes from the first floor
- Walk in closet

Measures for this room:

5m long x 3.55m wide x 2.17m tall (low ceiling) 2.94m tall (high ceiling)

16ft 4in long x 11ft 7in wide x 7ft 1in tall (low ceiling) 9ft 7in tall (high ceiling)

A few pics of the empty room:

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-03.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-01.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-02.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-04.jpg

My first thought was to place the desk like this:

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-aa.jpg

I understand it is better to have the desk near the short wall, but the slanted ceiling makes the room very asymmetrical this way. Setting it up the way I have, next to the long wall with the low ceiling, also is asymmetrical because of the column, windows and closet.

I have asked different people I trust and got opposite answers. What do you guys think will be less problematic? My current room is a square (I know lol) and has mode problems which sucks but the assymetry caused by a 3 door closet on one side, and a window on the other, really messes with my stereo image. I would like to avoid this in my new room if possible.

A few screenshots of a little 3D model I did so you can see clearly (didn't know how to model the ceiling sorry):

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-7367bc2f6ec29f77c1a1e99e856e6d1668d820ae.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-1630ca0d3c5ac561737302b06d72e5a34242126c.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-cf4522f26fe30ae9caa0c580f74bec0b96cb3103.jpg

My other question is regarding treatment. In my current room I have one of those Auralex Roominator kits. This was before I knew about how they do nothing for low/mid frequencies. The foam panels did help take care of reflections and flutter echo though. I plan on using the panels for the early reflections, as seen in the 3D model. The grey panels on the wall are supposed to represent 2 auralex panels each. I have 16 panels in total.

I was thinking of adding a couple of bass traps in the front corners for now (budget is very limited) and maybe a couple more in the opposite corners when I have the money. Ideally I would use Tri-Traps, but the column is not going to allow me to place them correctly. Would Monster traps on boom stands, placed at a 45º angle, be my best option?

And lastly, with the Auralex kit came 8 of their LERND "bass" "traps", which I "lernd" do nothing under 250Hz. Can I use those in any way to help with the absorption? Or should I just make a foam fort for my dogs?

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention is that any treatment on the ceiling is out of the question (girlfriend lol)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if I can add any info to make it easier to answer please let me know. At the moment I can't do audio measurements because people are still living there and I am not moving until December.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-01.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-02.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-03.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-04.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-1630ca0d3c5ac561737302b06d72e5a34242126c.jpg  

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-7367bc2f6ec29f77c1a1e99e856e6d1668d820ae.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-aa.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-cf4522f26fe30ae9caa0c580f74bec0b96cb3103.jpg  
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Reading my previous post I realise there's a lot to read for just a couple of questions. It's actually just 2 questions:

- Monitor placement: next to short wall with slope? or next to long wall to preserve symmetry?

- How to place bass trap in the corner where there's a column?

Thanks!
Old 21st September 2020
Here for the gear

Bump!

Can anyone please help me with the desk/monitor placement?
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xev View Post
Bump!

Can anyone please help me with the desk/monitor placement?
These links should help. I would suggest trying both orientations an seeing what works. If the room is deep enough firing the short way might be fine and the ceiling will reflect sound away from you. If firing the long way, you can make a cloud covering most or all of the ceiling, and hanging so it is flat. Above it you can hang fluffy insulation and the void/cloud becomes a broadband bass trap.

Desk and monitor placement in room with window and closet
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
These links should help. I would suggest trying both orientations an seeing what works. If the room is deep enough firing the short way might be fine and the ceiling will reflect sound away from you. If firing the long way, you can make a cloud covering most or all of the ceiling, and hanging so it is flat. Above it you can hang fluffy insulation and the void/cloud becomes a broadband bass trap.

Desk and monitor placement in room with window and closet
Thank you very much for that link, a lot of great and practical info on that boggy thread. I'll then start by trying to find the closest to a sweet spot and I will go with the treatment from there.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear