The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Options for cooling a room when ventilation isn’t an option
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Head

Options for cooling a room when ventilation isn’t an option

Setting up my new studio room and am looking for the best way to keep to temperature comfortable. I am renting the space so AC units requiring ventilation are not an option. Room is medium/small btw.

Are there any products you would recommend I check out? Are there any AC units that don’t require Ventilation? Not super concerned with generated noise as I will turn of the unit during tracking. I am pretty much open to anything that will maximize temperature control.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Nut
The heat has to go somewhere - A/Cs pump the heat. No way you can use one of these? https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-.../dp/B01DLPUWL2
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
The heat has to go somewhere - A/Cs pump the heat. No way you can use one of these? https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-.../dp/B01DLPUWL2
Ugh I know... kind of SOL with the no ventilation aspect. Hoping there is some fancy type of AC unit I don’t know about.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Nut
there are water cooled units:
http://www.spot-coolers.com/download...NUAL052000.pdf
This requires a water flow of 3/4 gallons per minute. If you are paying for the water that can get quite expensive.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
there are water cooled units:
http://www.spot-coolers.com/download...NUAL052000.pdf
This requires a water flow of 3/4 gallons per minute. If you are paying for the water that can get quite expensive.
Interesting, could you recirculate the water like a closed loop cooler for a PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac660 View Post
Setting up my new studio room and am looking for the best way to keep to temperature comfortable. I am renting the space so AC units requiring ventilation are not an option. Room is medium/small btw.

Are there any products you would recommend I check out? Are there any AC units that don’t require Ventilation? Not super concerned with generated noise as I will turn of the unit during tracking. I am pretty much open to anything that will maximize temperature control.
My upright ac vents out of the window, with a little hose and attachment. this is not possible in your room?
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Interesting, could you recirculate the water like a closed loop cooler for a PC?

My upright ac vents out of the window, with a little hose and attachment. this is not possible in your room?
No window. Interior room of a building. No ventilation. This is a small vent that seems to act as a fan that pulls air out of the room. I think this is my best bet for ventilation... i am doubting the landlord will allow it.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac660 View Post

The old studios i use to use in manchester were in a similar situation. When the rooms got hot we would turn on a portable ac and let the exhaust hose run out into the hallway. It cooled the room pretty quick and then we shut it off and closed the door again. It wasnt ideal, but it worked
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear