The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
REW help needed!
Old 14th September 2020
REW help needed!

Hi everyone hopefully someone can help me with this

I'm not the best when it comes to technology but even though I followed a few REW tutorials and read stuff online I can't seem to make REW work. Only function that works reasonably is the stepped sine measurement in the RTA window...

I'm on a mac btw.

When I'm calibrating my soundcard I keep getting an error message saying my input level's much too low even though I adjusted it to match the output as closely as I could.

Also I can make measurements but they don't show anything at all and when I'm looking at the thumbnail I can see there clearly is something.

I'm a bit confused... Does anybody know what the problem is?

I also have sonarworks but the measurements are not as detailed and take more time. Right now I've installed corner traps and I'm just trying to figure out the best listening position and speaker placement in my room for the low end.
Attached Thumbnails
REW help needed!-calibrating-sound-card-error.png   REW help needed!-test-measurement.jpg  
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Beast View Post
... Only function that works reasonably is the stepped sine measurement in the RTA window...

I'm on a mac btw...
Skip the soundcard calibration for a moment...
If you open REW Generator and chose Pink PN (periodic noise) you've got a fairly quick way of watching how the FR changes in Real Time while moving spkr or mic position.

"Save" when y find something interesting. Set up like this.
Note: This is my iMac built in mic & spkr. e.g no bass
Attached Thumbnails
REW help needed!-pink-pn-rta.jpg  
Old 14th September 2020
Thanks akebrake, that works but I find it difficult to work with.

Actually just tried using my girlfriend's computer instead and it works much better! Here I'm testing 3 different listening positions.

The room's untreated so far apart from floor to ceiling absorbers straddling the 2 front corners.

Just trying to figure out the best listening spot and speaker placement before I hang my early reflexion panels.

Looks like maybe listening position A is the best?
Attached Thumbnails
REW help needed!-38pc.jpg   REW help needed!-halfway-between-38pc-25pc.jpg   REW help needed!-bit-more-than-25pc-fron-front-wall-.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

ERR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Beast View Post
...Looks like maybe listening position A is the best?
You seem to have loaded a measurement file as "soundcard" file!

This is a very common mistake and it's possible that one can extract useful data from this but its better to try again with correct settings or skip the SC Cal.

a correct loopback/ SoundCard file should look like pic 2.

Best
Attached Thumbnails
REW help needed!-soundcard-.jpg   REW help needed!-soundcard-ok-cal-.jpg  
Old 18th September 2020
Yeah you're right thanks for pointing it out! Don't know how that happened... Everytime I been trying to calibrate the soundcard it's either failed with an error message or I got a wrong calibration file like this one.

Actually the measurements without calibration are useful I think.
📝 Reply