The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Idea For Reducing Desk Bounce Reflections
Old 14th September 2020
Idea For Reducing Desk Bounce Reflections

Due to limitations on where I can put my desk, I have to have my monitors only 44in apart. This means that even though my speakers are on stands not coupled to the desk, the speakers still aren't spread far enough to miss the desk first reflections.

This got me to thinking, has anyone thought about making say a 12in long acoustic panel that extends off the speaker stands so that it eats up the first reflection that would normally hit the desk? I propose having it extend from the speaker stands (at the height of the bottom of the speaker because I can't practically put a small panel on the desk because I need that real estate.

Has anyone tried this? I have one 4ft x 2ft 703 panel left I could use, but I'd have to cut it to try this. Not sure I want to ruin a full size panel for an experiment. Although come to think of it I could prop the panel up so just the corner sits right under the monitor where the smaller panel would go, shoot the room and see if there is any improvement.. hmm

What do you all think?
Old 14th September 2020
Have you tried angling the desk so the reflections don't bounce up but towards the back?

While a panel is usable, you don't want to over dampen 1khz-10khz anymore than you have to.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear