The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Little Studio House
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

My Little Studio House

I'm building a small house that will function only as a studio. However, the dimensions are far from ideal - but this house was the only one I could afford so...

As you can see in the photos the main mix/recording room is around 3.5 X 3.5 meters when the insulation is done. The large red rectangle is my desk and the smaller red rectangles are windows and a door. The celing height is 3.5 meters, but angeled so that may help a little with this otherwise cube-shaped room. Also, to my left side of the mixing position (where the kitchen area is on the last photo) there will be a big opening to the next room, and also an opening to a small loft - but in the middle of the wall and not offset to the right like in the last picture. EDIT: Or maybe I should offset the inner wall - see my additional post. There will be no windows above the desk, although there are one in the last picture.

What kind of acoustic treatment could I do that would help at least a little with these bad dimensions? Should I place the main desk somewhere else, maybe in front of the opening to the next room?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
My Little Studio House-attefall-24ma-loft-interia-r-delad.jpg   My Little Studio House-atterfall_24_loft.jpg   My Little Studio House-small-studio.png   My Little Studio House-atterfall-24-torploft_view03_1-2.jpg  

Last edited by White Falcon; 13th September 2020 at 08:05 PM..
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Another thought: the inner wall is solid when you build the house and it's up to you how big this opening should be. Although you need to leave a minumum of 30 cm at every side.

If I leave one wall longer, the one to the left of my mixing position, and cut the other side down to 30 cm would this improve things?

Se my amazing Paint (yes, the old Windows program) sketch below.
Attached Thumbnails
My Little Studio House-untitled-kopia.png  
Old 13th September 2020
In a room that is a square with equal dimensions, sitting and setting up the near the middle of the room is really the only possibly useful option.

Sitting near a wall will only exacerbate the peaks and nulls of the modes.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
In a room that is a square with equal dimensions, sitting and setting up the near the middle of the room is really the only possibly useful option.

Sitting near a wall will only exacerbate the peaks and nulls of the modes.
Thanks!

As my desk is very big my chair would be more or less in the middle of the room. And I guess that having the monitors near the wall and me sitting in the middle is the worst position.

If I understand you correctly a better solution would be to place the monitors/desk in the middle of the room. Crap
Old 13th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
Thanks!

As my desk is very big my chair would be more or less in the middle of the room. And I guess that having the monitors near the wall and me sitting in the middle is the worst position.

If I understand you correctly a better solution would be to place the monitors/desk in the middle of the room. Crap
Again let me reiterate...i said near the middle of the room(listening position around 44% from front wall) not at the middle of the room( which would be 50%).

You have to set up everything so it excites the modes as low as possible if at all possible. You still will need massive and complete treatment on every surface except the floor.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Yes, thanks!
📝 Reply