The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Triple Leaf Question
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Addict

Triple Leaf Question

Hi, I'm going to build a wall in front of the wall in the picture, but as you can see the space between joists is being used as a furnace return duct. If I drywall the back of the cavity I will be creating a triple Leaf situation. I was thinking about putting up a sheet of 703 to define the air return channel. Would that still be a triple Leaf problem? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Triple Leaf Question-15999684491344808214212566282397.jpg   Triple Leaf Question-1599968497074931979679073526631.jpg  
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

If you install the new drywall directly against the existing drywall you will not create an additional leaf.

Its not possible to determine how many leafs there are based on the photos.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Addict

Let me try and explain it better. There is just a single wall between the soon to be studio and the rest of the basement. In that wall, they builders are using the stud cavity as the return vent. I took off all the drywall on the studio side, and I will now build another wall to decouple the studio from the basement wall. BUT, by removing the drywall on the original wall I essentially took out the air returns. I was thinking of just using 703 to close up the stud cavity to define the air return duct. Would that be a triple Leaf? Will it even make that much difference if I drywall two stud cavities but not the whole inside wall?
Attached Thumbnails
Triple Leaf Question-16000435463324955712023730749880.jpg  
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Can you do a quick sketch, indicating wall and drywall locations, the pictures only show a small segment of the build.

You don't need to close off the stud cavity. It needs to be insulated. Then the other wall with insulation and drywall.

Are you using the ducting for the studio?

It also appears from the picture that the wall to the right will need to be modified if it is near the foundation of the house, since it would in that case be the "studio" wall, ie part of the inner shell.

You should get build it like the pros, by rod gervias if you don't have it yet, so you have a solid reference for what you need to do.

To be honest im not exactly clear what you are asking.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsound View Post
Hi, I'm going to build a wall in front of the wall in the picture, but as you can see the space between joists is being used as a furnace return duct. If I drywall the back of the cavity I will be creating a triple Leaf situation. I was thinking about putting up a sheet of 703 to define the air return channel. Would that still be a triple Leaf problem? Thanks in advance!
so you're building a new fully decoupled leaf in front of the original one with the sheetrock removed and you want to honor the existing old duct? correct?

i dont think i'd go with 703 as its not designed to take the constant airflow. Youd either want to line the 703 with plastic or buy some duct board that was designed for this purpose. I wouldnt worry about one cavity sealed in by insulation creating a powerful enough triple leaf effect to worry about.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

If the stud bay is functioning as the duct, then using 703/duct liner doesn't do much in the way of maintaining isolation. If you use drywall just on that bay you can negate the effect of the 3rd leaf with enough mass. With drywall you don't sacrifice isolation.

I had to re-read the post and Jasons reply to get the question thru my skull.

Last edited by Kyle P. Gushue; 14th September 2020 at 04:12 AM..
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks Jason and Kyle! Ok, I'll drywall those stud bays, and insulate the rest of the wall and leave unfinished. Yes, I know about the other wall in the photo. Honestly, this is the 5th studio I've built (I gotta stop moving!), I have Rods book, and I'm not really that loud anymore. This wall we are talking about is my teenage boys TV/XBox/party in the basement wall. Just trying to make sure we can both use the basement at the same time!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear