The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included
Old 11th September 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included

Greetings, everyone! I'm pretty new to mixing and acoustics, and I'm wondering if my situation is salvageable.

Goal: Use studio monitors (2x Kali LP6s to mix symphonic, hip-hop, electronic, and potentially metal tracks).

My setup, as I've read elsewhere, is not ideal. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do in terms of acoustic treatment and placement to make mixing on monitors viable, or if I should just opt for headphones (looking at the Sennheiser 6xx).

Currently, my plan is to put 1 speaker(i can use stands or the desk itself, and will be using isolation pads) to each side of my computer monitors, and throw up some porous bass traps and acoustic foam throughout my room (still not entirely sure where). This would make it so the monitor on my right is about 15 inches from the wall, and the monitor on my left has a few feet of room behind it. I can get pretty close to an equilateral triangle by angling the speakers, and moving my chair back a little bit, but understand that being so close to a wall isn't great.

I'm also kind of curious if my book shelf will act as a corner sort of half-corner in terms of acoustics, as it would be nearly dead center of the back of my monitors with my current placement. Probably getting ahead of myself.

So yeah, what do y'all think? Can I make this work with minor tweaks or treatment, or should I scrap it all and go on the path of open-back headphones? If I can make monitors work, what do you recommend doing in terms of placement and treatment?

Apologies if I missed any pertinent information. Feel free to AMA!

Thank you for your time and insights.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included-1a.jpg   Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included-4.jpg   Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included-3.jpg   Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included-2.jpg  
Old 11th September 2020
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Sorry, I uploaded an incorrect image in the OP. Here is the one I meant to upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included-1.jpg  
Old 11th September 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Pindrive's Avatar
I have a really tiny space. Smaller than yours, with horrible acoustics. My advice is to proceed with a set of monitors. I mix everything in headphones. Use my monitors for reference. Its really helpful to have a couple sources to A/B your mix. IT'll always be less than Ideal. But, you can get good results when you learn to trust what you have.
Old 11th September 2020
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
I have a really tiny space. Smaller than yours, with horrible acoustics. My advice is to proceed with a set of monitors. I mix everything in headphones. Use my monitors for reference. Its really helpful to have a couple sources to A/B your mix. IT'll always be less than Ideal. But, you can get good results when you learn to trust what you have.
Thank you for the feedback! I do have a pair of Sony md7506s which I'll also use (not positive yet just how much I will use them atm compared to monitors or open-back headphones). I've been hearing a lot lately that knowing what one's room does to the sound is the most important factor overall, and it definitely makes sense as everyone has different spaces,ears, and equipment. I guess I'm ultimately curious as to whether or not going for monitors with a less than Ideal setup will be more of a headache and expense than it is worth (compared to just getting some open-back headphones,and not having to "worry" about room acoustics).

At the end of the day, I suppose it may be more preferential and subjective than I initially thought. But that's why I'm here, I suppose: to learn from those such as yourself, who are more experienced than I.

Thanks again.
Old 11th September 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
You are showing corner of the desk, sort of
-Whats behind the green curtain on the left

Matti
Old 11th September 2020
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
You are showing corner of the desk, sort of
-Whats behind the green curtain on the left

Matti
Behind the green curtain (green screen I use for content creation) is my book case. To our left of that is my bed (which is up against a standard size window)
Old 12th September 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Pindrive's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheteriq View Post
Thank you for the feedback! I do have a pair of Sony md7506s which I'll also use (not positive yet just how much I will use them atm compared to monitors or open-back headphones). I've been hearing a lot lately that knowing what one's room does to the sound is the most important factor overall, and it definitely makes sense as everyone has different spaces,ears, and equipment. I guess I'm ultimately curious as to whether or not going for monitors with a less than Ideal setup will be more of a headache and expense than it is worth (compared to just getting some open-back headphones,and not having to "worry" about room acoustics).

At the end of the day, I suppose it may be more preferential and subjective than I initially thought. But that's why I'm here, I suppose: to learn from those such as yourself, who are more experienced than I.

Thanks again.
It may sound crazy but, I have those little headphones that come with an iPhone. I do my mixing in those, check with monitors & then the songs get the car test. Those ear pods are surprisingly accurate. I trust them more than my monitors. The monitors reveal other things & the car speakers are close to awful. Everything tells you something.
Old 14th September 2020
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Update:

So I've taken myself out of a corner. It isn't the most practical, but I'm now set up on the short wall and have a good 11 feet between my back(where I sit) and my back wall/window.

I have a few problems though:
1. Getting an equilateral triangle is impossible without my pc monitors getting in the way

2. My ear is more level with high frequency cone than the low frequency cone (apologies if cone isn't the right word here)

3. the back of my left monitor is closer to the corner than the back of my right is. I can't move,my desk dead center or my door won't open lol.

Is this okay?
Both speakers are front ported

The good news: I can raise the height of my speaker monitors quite a bit. I'm wondering if angling my studio monitors down is okay?

Would I be better off just putting the desk in the corner of the room?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again, guys!

Ps. Don't mind the toe-in atm
Attached Thumbnails
Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included-img_20200914_150447.jpg   Corner desk and limited space. Can I use monitors, or should I opt for headphones? Pics included-img_20200914_151856.jpg  
Old 16th September 2020
  #9
Start to measure your room with Room EQ Wizard.

Can you sit in the middle of one of the dimensions? Shoot for symmetry along one axis.
Old 17th September 2020
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Start to measure your room with Room EQ Wizard.

Can you sit in the middle of one of the dimensions? Shoot for symmetry along one axis.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, symmetry isn't possible at the moment. If I go in a corner, then one speaker is on the short wall, and one on the long.

If I angle the desk to go on short wall entirely, I cannot center it or my door will not open lol.

I'm of the mind the former option is better overall with proper acoustic treatment to mitigate issues. I know neither are ideal though.

Def open to more insights!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4944 views: 253824
Avatar for TOYZ
TOYZ 1 minute ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump