The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you guys mix with monitors so close?
Old 17th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
You may get more symmetry by sitting to the right (at the window?).
Nope, that open wall to the right side of the pic is a large open doorway to a large room (home theater).
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I've gotten pretty okay guerilla-mixing results in a couple of temp office spaces by turning one corner into a giant triangular floor-to-ceiling trap and facing the mix position into it. With absorption on every other possible surface, of course.
Why face the corner?

I'm guessing you'll have a reasonable answer, so my follow up is would you ever consider building a room based around facing a corner?
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Why face the corner?

I'm guessing you'll have a reasonable answer, so my follow up is would you ever consider building a room based around facing a corner?
I had a great-sounding room for about 5 years that was corner-oriented. The room was around 16' X 18' with a 16 foot ceiling. The top 2 feet of 3 of the 4 walls was entirely windows. Walls heavily treated with 703 panels. The corner trap was 12 feet high and packed with compressed pink insulation. The thin fabric scrim looked like a wall. Each of the right-angle legs of the "triangle" was about 7 feet. Net effect being that the corner wasn't really a corner anymore.

As I alluded to earlier, I did a more temp version of this two earlier times in raw office space (long story).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3131_Cahuenga_West.pdf (303.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head
I'm working in a diagonal set up right now as well. Firing out of a corner can solve a lot of imaging problems without much treatment and can turn a horrible sounding room into something half good. You still need to tame any bass issues and get control of the overall reverb time of the room. But the depth and clarity of the soundstage can be remarkable compared to a traditional low budget set up in the same space. It's often recommended for square rooms that are notoriously impossible to fix. And apparently audiophiles sometimes use a diagonal set up at trade shows to work around horrible hotel acoustics.
Old 19th September 2020
Corner setup with measurements by G.E.:
Trapping Traps
📝 Reply