The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ceiling design — absorbing or transmitting surface options
Old 10th September 2020
Here for the gear

Ceiling design — absorbing or transmitting surface options

For my 6'11'' ceiling, based on recent discussion and some reading of Rod Gervais book, I'm thinking of putting a single layer of gypsum up against the subfloor, filling the cavity with insulation, and then hanging another layer of ceiling underneath.

My wife claims she doesn't mind listening to the bands, and promises to be quiet during recording sessions, so I don't need a lot of isolation on the ceiling. But, I do want to minimize reflections and improve sound quality, and I obviously don't have a lot of room for clouds and the like.

My question, then, relates to what I should use for the bottom treatment, the exposed surface of the ceiling? Another thread here suggested fabric, so that the sound can just disappear into the insulation. But for WAF I can't have anything ugly, like burlap, and anyways I think fabric would sag. I discovered some interesting ceiling tiles that could be hung that are micro-perforated and claim some acoustic absorption/transmission (vs reflection). Gervais says "standard suspended ceilings ... are not of any use for the purpose of serious isolation" (p. 82) but I'm not after isolation, I'm after absorption. So, I can use surface mount tile suspension, right? So long as the tiles minimize reflections, with absorption and diffusion?

Do any of you have any specific recommendations for tiles (e.g Rockfon Sonar with an NRC of 0.95), or for the surface mount tile grid (e.g. CeilingMax?)

Another option would be perforated gypsum, like Gyptone.

I also spent some time on the YouTube looking a stretch ceilings. Wow, they are neat. They can be microperforated (presumably to help with high frequencies). If they're stretched super tight they might sound like a big kick drum, but, watching the videos it looks like their resonant frequency might be subsonic.

Sorry for my confusion. I'm having problems because most of what is written/posted regarding construction relates to isolation, not absorption/diffusion. It seems the standard approach is to use clouds for absorption/diffusion, and I have no room for any clouds.

Below is a sketch.

Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Another option is perforated ,metal. Another other option if ~.75 max absorption is acceptable is acoustic plaster.
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabraham View Post
For my 6'11'' ceiling, based on recent discussion and some reading of Rod Gervais book, I'm thinking of putting a single layer of gypsum up against the subfloor, filling the cavity with insulation, and then hanging another layer of ceiling underneath.

My wife claims she doesn't mind listening to the bands, and promises to be quiet during recording sessions, so I don't need a lot of isolation on the ceiling. But, I do want to minimize reflections and improve sound quality, and I obviously don't have a lot of room for clouds and the like.

My question, then, relates to what I should use for the bottom treatment, the exposed surface of the ceiling? Another thread here suggested fabric, so that the sound can just disappear into the insulation. But for WAF I can't have anything ugly, like burlap, and anyways I think fabric would sag. I discovered some interesting ceiling tiles that could be hung that are micro-perforated and claim some acoustic absorption/transmission (vs reflection). Gervais says "standard suspended ceilings ... are not of any use for the purpose of serious isolation" (p. 82) but I'm not after isolation, I'm after absorption. So, I can use surface mount tile suspension, right? So long as the tiles minimize reflections, with absorption and diffusion?

Do any of you have any specific recommendations for tiles (e.g Rockfon Sonar with an NRC of 0.95), or for the surface mount tile grid (e.g. CeilingMax?)

Another option would be perforated gypsum, like Gyptone.

I also spent some time on the YouTube looking a stretch ceilings. Wow, they are neat. They can be microperforated (presumably to help with high frequencies). If they're stretched super tight they might sound like a big kick drum, but, watching the videos it looks like their resonant frequency might be subsonic.

Sorry for my confusion. I'm having problems because most of what is written/posted regarding construction relates to isolation, not absorption/diffusion. It seems the standard approach is to use clouds for absorption/diffusion, and I have no room for any clouds.

Below is a sketch.

The fabric won't sag as long as the insulation isn't resting on it.

The fabric just has to be breathable, doesn't have to be burlap.
📝 Reply