The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panels at floor level VS raised
Old 10th September 2020
Gear Addict

Panels at floor level VS raised

I have a tricky back wall to treat, so what I’m going to opt for instead of mounting, is just letting them free stand. May add some metal support brackets for added stability if I find them tipping over for some reason...My only concern with this are the benefits of having the panels raised up higher...are the effects drastic for a panel at floor level vs a panel more centered in regards to floor/ceiling ratio? I’ve seen 24” off the ground thrown around before..

I love GIK, but paying $55 each for stands isn’t happening...unless the difference with raising them off the floor is quite significant but even then, I’ll probably still DIY...budget all went towards the actual treatment, lol

Last edited by LeoRapture; 10th September 2020 at 11:02 AM..
Old 10th September 2020
What is the point of having panels on the backwall? What are they supposed to do? How far back is your backwall from your listening position?

If you can answer these questions, then you will find your answers in terms of if stands are needed.
Old 10th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
What is the point of having panels on the backwall? What are they supposed to do? How far back is your backwall from your listening position?

If you can answer these questions, then you will find your answers in terms of if stands are needed.
The room is 17(L) x 11(W), listening position is roughly at the 35-38% mark. Back wall is roughly 10ft. behind me. I’m mainly trying to fight the 80/160 null due to having low ceilings. I figured bass trapping near the back wall may aid in getting those ranges under control a little more..front wall has decent treatment in regards to bass trapping, reflection points, and ceiling cloud.
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRapture View Post
I have a tricky back wall to treat, so what I’m going to opt for instead of mounting, is just letting them free stand. May add some metal support brackets for added stability if I find them tipping over for some reason...My only concern with this are the benefits of having the panels raised up higher...are the effects drastic for a panel at floor level vs a panel more centered in regards to floor/ceiling ratio? I’ve seen 24” off the ground thrown around before..

I love GIK, but paying $55 each for stands isn’t happening...unless the difference with raising them off the floor is quite significant but even then, I’ll probably still DIY...budget all went towards the actual treatment, lol
20 questions time.

1. What are "bass traps" near the back wall?
2. How much of the rear wall is covered by the "bass traps?
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

it won't - you will just loose space and mess with the slew rate..

you say low ceilings so lets say 8 foot and under? -

cheap steel I beam and LOTS of mdf board - as close to floor to ceiling in height and 1.5 foot deep - angled like fins hung from the beam.
if steel is too expensive then build a girder from 3 layers of 2x8 and glue clamp and screw together
similar to the pic below
Attached Thumbnails
Panels at floor level VS raised-screenshot-2020-09-10-14.18.34.jpg  
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
20 questions time.

1. What are "bass traps" near the back wall?
2. How much of the rear wall is covered by the "bass traps?
Bass traps = GIK 244 panels

Room width is 11’ - it would be 5 panels(2’x4’) spread across the width of the back wall, with only a 2-3” gap in between each panel.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRapture View Post
Bass traps = GIK 244 panels

Room width is 11’ - it would be 5 panels(2’x4’) spread across the width of the back wall, with only a 2-3” gap in between each panel.
It isbetter to raise them With a bit of ingenuity and DIYing you can do it for less than $125.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
It isbetter to raise them With a bit of ingenuity and DIYing you can do it for less than $125.
I’m not much of a builder, lol. Considering just buying a bunch of mic stands and getting their boom stand brackets....can think of plenty of ways to stand them on the floor for super cheap...but raising them is another thing entirely.
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Walmart has portable clothing racks on wheels. Is a cross bar between two uprights. This may suit your needs.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear