The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic panels thickness once and for all
Old 9th September 2020
Here for the gear

Acoustic panels thickness once and for all

Hello,
Im a drummer and i want to make good sound in my room . Be able to play and record

I have 16 pieces of 50mm rockwool 120/60. 100kg

I want to frame it one by one... Some for wall and ceiling aswell..

Once and for all is it really matter 🤠 100mm or 50mm thickness?

Please give me simple answer without graphs and sintific theories..

Thank u
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic panels thickness once and for all-img_20200909_173758_1.jpg   Acoustic panels thickness once and for all-img_20200909_173810.jpg  
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

In my opinion rigid fiber at 100kg is too dense to be a bass trap. I would opt for a less dense fiber, personally.

If you are stuck with this material for whatever reason i would recommend 100mm of fiber spaced 100mm to 200mm off the wall. This will get you decent absorbtion down to around 200hz. Not very helpful for the kick drum, but its what you got.

If you want to treat the LF problems with this fiber you will be forced to build some pressure traps. I would probably opt for some slat absorbers tuned to multiple Fc per device and try and cover from 200hz and below.
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear
It depends?

Just a guess,

Ray H.

More precisely, I would definitely do the things you prefer to avoid - measurement, analysis and applied math. I would likely move the drums out from under the ledge to a more opens space in the room, likely with a cloud as high above them as is reasonably practical. I wouldn't try to solve the problems of that room with only the rockwool. I would look for other absorption and creative scattering options.
Old 10th September 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for your quick response...

I can replace the fiber to 80 or even 60 if its needed.. although I'm a bit confused.. since i saw in the web many people say the thicker the panel the better.
What thicknesses should i use for the panel itself...

Also i want to build a standing wall Infront of the drums. And again, how thick should it be and how dense?

Good day#
Old 17th September 2020
My opinion is porous absorption for everything. The thicker the better. 12 inches minimum thickness.
📝 Reply