The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Health concerns.
Old 9th September 2020
Here for the gear

Health concerns.

So this year I was diagnosed with low-grade cancer. Doctors told me this is not a high risk and should be able to be contained. Being that I still proceed with caution when it comes to my environment and what I eat etc. I have some questions about the wool/fiberglass sheets.

I am debating what is the safest way to treat my studio. I have no problem building my panels but I am trying to get some answers.

1. If I was to buy already made treatment who makes the safest panels?

2. I see Rockwool 60 and safe & sound have light amounts of formaldehyde. People have said the amount in these vs the Rockwool evo or the Knauf Insulation Earthwool is not even worth buying, can we confirm this?

3. If build these on my own wearing good protection, p100 mask etc. What is the best-proven way to wrap the wool sheets? in the past I have used a 1/2 inch cotton batter but is there some other kind of layer I can put around these to help conceal the fibers for sure? or is the cotton batter the best option?

4. What is a good safe acoustic fabric to use on the outer layer of the panels? The fabric of Maine? anything like this maybe cheaper options as well?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th September 2020
Here for the gear

Thank you this is helpful but again the thread is very distorded no clear answer. I am just lloking for some guidelines and rule of thumbs like " use rockwool 60 over this becuase that" & also do not use batter to cover the sheets us this becuase no fibers can get through whats so ever" "Make sure to let the rockwool evo air out for 10 days"

this is what I am looking for, your reply seems a bit trollish sorry.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infusivemusic View Post
Thank you this is helpful but again the thread is very distorded no clear answer. I am just lloking for some guidelines and rule of thumbs like " use rockwool 60 over this becuase that" & also do not use batter to cover the sheets us this becuase no fibers can get through whats so ever" "Make sure to let the rockwool evo air out for 10 days"

this is what I am looking for, your reply seems a bit trollish sorry.
If you are serious about avoiding formaldehyde then leave any room you are in. The human body makes about an ounce and a half of it per day.
Old 11th September 2020
Here for the gear

Very true,
I guess I am just trying to find a safe way to wrap the sheets and not have leakage of any fibers etc .. Thinking safest approach.
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very true,
I guess I am just trying to find a safe way to wrap the sheets and not have leakage of any fibers etc .. Thinking safest approach.
Guilford of Maine fabric is a good choice, they will send you samples. You could wrap the rb40 panels in a thin plastic before the fabric.

Afaik acoustic foam doesn't emanate any particulates. Its not as cost effective as rb40 panels, but is an option for mid/high frequencies.
Old 12th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Very true,
Plastic wrap is the only material that will keep all dust contained. Will give you some high frequency bounce back as well, which is usually helpful, but depends on your room. John L Sayers was the first person I read about doing this.
Old 13th September 2020
Deleted 10089a2
On the knauf earthwool data sheets it cites studies that the their glass/ mineral wool ( I can't remember which right now) dissolved in lungs/ body before it can cause long term issues. Check it out online.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 10089a2 View Post
On the knauf earthwool data sheets it cites studies that the their glass/ mineral wool ( I can't remember which right now) dissolved in lungs/ body before it can cause long term issues. Check it out online.
Glass is silicon which is a mineral. The of permanence in lungs is potentially an issue with organic materials like cotton. It is like Pepsi certifying their soft drinks are cholesterol free. It is a non-issue to begin with.
Old 13th September 2020
Deleted 10089a2
There was another sheet on this that I can't find but this is what we had when using knauf ecose stuff:

"11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
11.1 Information on toxicological effects
Acute effect : The mechanical effect of fibres in contact with the skin can cause a temporary itching.
Carcinogenic effect : Classification not applicable for this product; in accordance with the directive 97/69/EC
and European Regulation 1272/2008, nota Q. Weighted clearance half life of fibres, with
length greater than 20µm after intra-tracheal instillation, is less than 40 days (result obtained
from a test conform to the European protocol)."

https://www.knaufinsulation.com/iframe-cprdop?dopkey=
📝 Reply