The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Disagreement between contractor and door company
Old 8th September 2020
  #1
Disagreement between contractor and door company

Hoping you guys can help here. I got a STC-43 door from a company, which was installed by my contractor. The company didn't manufacture the door themselves - they provide the instructions and organize the various hardware, but the door is from a company called Vancouver.

When my contractor installed it, we realized the threshold seems to be installed in reverse, as the seal at the bottom was facing the wrong side. The door is inswing, but the threshold seal is on the exterior side. We spoke to the door company, and they are saying the threshold needs to be reversed. But my contractor is saying the threshold fits the provided jamb correctly in it's current position, so he thinks they screwed something up, likely by sending the wrong threshold.

I'm very frustrated because we haven't come to a solution, and the door company isn't very helpful. I've made a comparison picture to illustrate the issue. Picture A shows the door company's demo example, where according to them, the exterior is the right side, and interior is left side. Picture B is our current install. Picture C is a photoshopped version of our current install, where we've flipped the threshold to show how it doesn't remotely align with jamb. Note how far the threshold goes into the room interior side, and how it doesn't cover the full area (outlined in red) of the exterior.

For those who have experience with doors in studio situations, are acoustic doors/thresholds just installed different than a normal door, and my contractor doesn't realize it? Or is the door company at fault?


Last edited by maxiedaniels; 8th September 2020 at 11:28 PM..
Old 8th September 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Kyle P. Gushue's Avatar
Have you contacted the door manufacturer, not just the re-seller?
Old 8th September 2020
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Have you contacted the door manufacturer, not just the re-seller?

They told me since they don't manufacture the jamb or threshold, they aren't the ones to speak to. I am trying to reach the threshold manufacturer, but they haven't responded to email and I've gotten cut off when they transfer me to their tech support phone line.
Old 9th September 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Kyle P. Gushue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
They told me since they don't manufacture the jamb or threshold, they aren't the ones to speak to. I am trying to reach the threshold manufacturer, but they haven't responded to email and I've gotten cut off when they transfer me to their tech support phone line.
I would retry/wait for word from them since they would know best.
Old 9th September 2020
  #5
Okay, I spoke to the threshold manufacturer. They stated that the threshold given to me is meant for out-swing, however people do use it as an in-swing threshold. They said it will just look weird - we'd have to reverse it and put an extra metal bit to cover the exterior part. They also suggested that I could use a flat threshold and combine it with a threshold stop - like this. Does anyone have experience with these? I guess I'm just feeling a bit lost, as the threshold provided to me is specifically meant for 'acoustic applications'. Can a studio builder here let me know if it's vital to use a threshold designed for 'acoustic applications' or can I just use anything that gives a really good seal?
Old 10th September 2020
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Can a studio builder here let me know if it's vital to use a threshold designed for 'acoustic applications' or can I just use anything that gives a really good seal?
This is what i recommend:
https://www.tmhardware.com/Soundproo...tml?sku=ZR565A

When you close the door, the automatic door bottom closes on top of the bumper. This gives you 2 places where the sound has to get through instead of one.
Old 10th September 2020
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
This is what i recommend:
https://www.tmhardware.com/Soundproo...tml?sku=ZR565A

When you close the door, the automatic door bottom closes on top of the bumper. This gives you 2 places where the sound has to get through instead of one.
Hmm I'm seeing a threshold, did you meant to link to something else?
Old 10th September 2020
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Hmm I'm seeing a threshold, did you meant to link to something else?
No, its considered one of the best thresholds designed for acoustic applications.

And yes its vital or very recommended to use a threshold designed for acoustic applications if sound isolation is a need.

Also the one i linked is heavy duty. The first thing that gets broken in terms of studio door isolation is the seals. Why?
Because of lots of traffic and closing and opening the doors.
Old 10th September 2020
  #9
Sorry what I meant is, you mentioned an automatic door bottom, I figured you meant a mechanism.
Old 10th September 2020
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Sorry what I meant is, you mentioned an automatic door bottom, I figured you meant a mechanism.
Yes like this one:
https://www.tmhardware.com/Automatic...u=ZR361AA%7C36
Old 10th September 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

The BBC RD 1994-15 report recommended the Zero International 367 with no floor plate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1994-15 Door Seals.pdf (1.11 MB, 20 views)

Last edited by avare; 10th September 2020 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling error
Old 10th September 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 

the auto drop thresholds are the only ones worth thinking about
Old 10th September 2020
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
The BBC RD 1994-15 report recommended the Zero International 367 with no floor plate.

Thank you for the link, will definitely consider it. Have there been any more recent tests done? Or have seals remained the same for a while now?
Old 10th September 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Thank you for the link, will definitely consider it. Have there been any more recent tests done? Or have seals remained the same for a while now?
You are welcome. None that I am aware of. Yes they are mature technology that has not changed.
Old 12th September 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Wow, great price. I paid a lot more for mine.
Old 12th September 2020
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Wow, great price. I paid a lot more for mine.
Trademark is where I order all zero international hardware for doors, seals, metal weatherstripping.
Also when you need replacements.

One thing about the automatic door bottoms is that over time the rubber wears out. Its something you don't think about, until one day you start to notice sound coming from a different room. And when you check the adb you realize that the rubber is half gone or dust has wore it down.
Old 12th September 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
One thing about the automatic door bottoms is that over time the rubber wears out. Its something you don't think about, until one day you start to notice sound coming from a different room.
Kronos recording has an isolation booth between the live room and the control room. When I built the room in 1998, I thought a sliding glass door on either side would be great for visibility. Yes. Sound isolation, not so much.

A few years later, I added a second sliding glass door in front of the first on the live room side. It helped, slightly.

Last year I redid my room. I took the sliding glass doors out and put in a wall with double doors and a large window. It is so much better, I often only use one door, and leave the sliding glass door on the control room side open.

Another one of those if I knew then what I know now...

๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump