The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for Reliable Acoustic Caulk in Irl / Uk?
Old 7th September 2020
Here for the gear

Looking for Reliable Acoustic Caulk in Irl / Uk?

Can anyone recommend a reliable acoustic caulk available in Ireland / UK that's not going to fail in a year or two?

There's lots on the market but which are the good ones?

Thanks in advance
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear

Each tested product will have a Shore A hardness value but you may need to look up the more detailed product specifications on a web site rather than on the product in a shop.

I believe values from 25 to 35 fall in the range that acoustic caulks have. For example, I used Mapeflex PU45 which is working great for me. It has a Shore A hardness value of 38, so just outside the range on the stiffer side. It allows for up to 20% movement.
Old 7th September 2020
Theres no such thing as "acoustic caulk". Dont buy into that snake oil b.s. Save your money for things that actually matter. Using regular construction adhesive or even silicone will work just fine.

Theres no special acoustic properties that can be formulated into a caulk . There is no special "sound good" polymer blend of ingredients.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Do not use construction adhesive, it will make the assembly worse.

It is acceptable to use non-hardening silicone or butyl caulking which is typically available at any building supply.
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, I'll take all this into account
Old 8th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Do not use construction adhesive, it will make the assembly worse.

It is acceptable to use non-hardening silicone or butyl caulking which is typically available at any building supply.
I was referring to using the construction adhesive instead of the infamous green glue. Some kind of adhesive is needed inbetween sheathing. To stop vibrations. Then the silicone to seal the seams.
Old 8th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
I was referring to using the construction adhesive instead of the infamous green glue. Some kind of adhesive is needed inbetween sheathing. To stop vibrations. Then the silicone to seal the seams.
Sorry to disagree, just for the sake of accuracy, standard construction adhesive is not a substitute for Green Glue at all!
No adhesive is strictly "needed" inbetween sheeting.
Old 8th September 2020
do you know what happens when you dont glue down subfloor to your floor joists? After a while you will start to get "creaky floors", as the fasteners loose grip, or material shrinks or swells. Walls or ceilings will do the same thing ESPECIALLY in a room designed to contain vibrations.

Thats if your into that kinda stuff. I personally dont beleive that glueing your sheathing together or onto studs will make all too much of a difference in the end result.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

I believe the OP was asking about caulk. The discussion is now about glues and CLDs (constrained layer damping materials), both different materials to caulk.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

As long as it stays soft over time, the joint is around 20-25% flexible it would serve the purpose. Hardness after curing 35-50 Shore A is OK. If elangation at break is mentioned instead of Shore A in a data sheet, something like 400-600% should be OK. Higher strength isn't reallly what you are looking for, these are usually less flexible.

I like MS polymers, they have no foul smell, are non toxic and are paintable, also resistant versus UV / sunlight and come in a variety of of hardnesses / strengths. (Silicone is not paintable and polyurethane may degrade over time in sunlight.) There are many different brands, shouldn't be a problem to find something in GB / Ireland. Some different types of sealants:
https://www.idealsealants.com/a-brie...o-sealants-i18
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc View Post
(Silicone is not paintable and polyurethane may degrade over time in sunlight.)
Ive never used it, but they do make 100% silicone caulking that is paintable. Here's an example

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silic...7000/100012232

Just out of general info, Rod "never uses acoustic caulk"

What should I use to fill gap around doorframe for best isolation?

Quote:
As JF said, the two are not interchangeable. And neither GG nor construction adhesive "stop vibrations".

Since the greats Eric Desart and Rod Gervias have covered the topic i will just link their thoughts.

Rod/eric desart on green glue, great read.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/v...php?f=24&t=650

Rod-Adhesive is only a disadvantage

Double drywall

Rod never uses construction adhesive in his builds

Isolation: Wall structure stability

Rod green glue vs adhesive

Any Green Glue Users care to comment?

Rod don't use regular glue for drywall, glued mass acts like a single sheet, unglued layers do not.

Double drywall

Quote:
do you know what happens when you dont glue down subfloor to your floor joists? After a while you will start to get "creaky floors", as the fasteners loose grip, or material shrinks or swells. Walls or ceilings will do the same thing ESPECIALLY in a room designed to contain vibrations.

Thats if your into that kinda stuff. I personally dont beleive that glueing your sheathing together or onto studs will make all too much of a difference in the end result.
If creaks are an issue there are techniques to fix it, including headless screws, and screwing up from the underside of the sheathing. The Wyle report specifically states that adhesive on studs makes the assembly worse.

IR-811 shows floor assemblies, and tests with screws not partially unscrewed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...os9NspjzpXzPq0
Old 8th September 2020
Quote:

Double drywall

Rod don't use regular glue for drywall, glued mass acts like a single sheet, unglued layers do not.

Double drywall
+1 Kyle, thanks for bringing these posts to the conversation.
Old 9th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc View Post
Thank you, that's very helpful
Old 9th September 2020
Quote:
Ive never used it, but they do make 100% silicone caulking that is paintable. Here's an example

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silic...7000/100012232

Just out of general info, Rod "never uses acoustic caulk"

What should I use to fill gap around doorframe for best isolation?

As JF said, the two are not interchangeable. And neither GG nor construction adhesive "stop vibrations".

Since the greats Eric Desart and Rod Gervias have covered the topic i will just link their thoughts.

Rod/eric desart on green glue, great read.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/v...php?f=24&t=650

Double drywall

Rod green glue vs adhesive

Any Green Glue Users care to comment?

Double drywall

If creaks are an issue there are techniques to fix it, including headless screws, and screwing up from the underside of the sheathing. The Wyle report specifically states that adhesive on studs makes the assembly worse.

IR-811 shows floor assemblies, and tests with screws not partially unscrewed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...os9NspjzpXzPq0
In general construction practices. Whether it be residential or commercial. We glue the subfloor down to the joists as well as nailing with 2 3/8" nails To make sure that over time the floors dont creak..... this is a fact. Whether it applies to acoustics in some way, im only assuming that itd be related. Other wise there wouldnt be a product like green glue.
Old 10th September 2020
Quote:
Other wise there wouldnt be a product like green glue.
Just to clarify Green Glue is neither a glue or a caulk. It has a very specific use in acoustics, it is being designed to act as a CLD compound (Constrain Layer Damping)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cons...y%20themselves.
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
In general construction practices. Whether it be residential or commercial. We glue the subfloor down to the joists as well as nailing with 2 3/8" nails To make sure that over time the floors dont creak..... this is a fact. Whether it applies to acoustics in some way, im only assuming that itd be related. Other wise there wouldnt be a product like green glue.
Acoustical and residential construction emply different methods in some cases. Gluing the floor down to the joists reduces its isolation. The wyle report tested and confirmed this.
📝 Reply