The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help with homestudio
Old 7th September 2020
Here for the gear

Need help with homestudio

Hi,

im seeking advice on how to further enhance my studio acoustics.
Im producing mainly electronic music and want I to upgrade my acoustics in order to get better mixing/mastering results. The Main problem is that i have a Drum Kit in my Studio, which i cant move anywhere else, because i havent got any other space left.

I have several Acoustic Absorbers installed in my Room, which you can see at the Screenshots i attached (Sorry for the mess, im still under construction ...)

I got two corner absorbers, i build myself out of rookwool, with a depth of 30cm.
At the first/second reflection points I got rookwool absorbers with a depth of 6cm. Also build by myself.
Between my Listening Spot and the speakers, in the air, is a cloudpanel/porouse Absorber out of Basotect with a depth of 10cm and an air gap of 12-15cm.
At the backwall i got two little corner absorber out of porouse basotect in the upper corners.
All other Absorbers seen in the picture, two 7cm depth basotect panels and 4 5cm panels, are not installed yet, because i dont really know where to put them effectively.
I also included a draft of my room with all the dimensions.

I measured my room with REW and the sonarworks xref 20.
The FRC is included in the attachments. I smoothedthe Graph with a 1/24 octave resolution. As you can see in the Graph, my room acoustic still a total mess and id like to get as good of a result as i can get.

I hope to get some advice. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with homestudio-room_01.png   Need help with homestudio-room-picture-02.jpg   Need help with homestudio-room-picture-01.jpg   Need help with homestudio-messung_rew_01.jpg  
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Your going to need more treatment. Covering most of the ceiling, and more of the back and side wall. You would want a bass trap that covers as much as the rear wall as possible, and the wall/ceiling corners around the entire room.

Here's some info on treatment and speaker/listening position

Desk and monitor placement in room with window and closet
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice!
I have already thought about treating the rear wall. What about a combination of a Skyline diffusor in the middle of the rear wall and absorbtion all around it?
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilotoo View Post
Thanks for the advice!
I have already thought about treating the rear wall. What about a combination of a Skyline diffusor in the middle of the rear wall and absorbtion all around it?
Diffusors need something like 10ft of area behind the listening position according to the handbook for sound engineers. If im recalling correctly from a post around here you need 3x the wavelength of the lowest frequncy being diffuesed, between listener and diffuser.

Bass traps would be my primary concern.
Old 9th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Diffusors need something like 10ft of area behind the listening position according to the handbook for sound engineers. If im recalling correctly from a post around here you need 3x the wavelength of the lowest frequncy being diffuesed, between listener and diffuser.

Bass traps would be my primary concern.
Alright then. Unfortunately im only able to fit in a Bass trap at the right corner of the rear wall.

With the panels i got left, should i treat the ceiling or the side walls first?
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilotoo View Post
Alright then. Unfortunately im only able to fit in a Bass trap at the right corner of the rear wall.

With the panels i got left, should i treat the ceiling or the side walls first?
Whichever surface is closer to your ears is where id start. You reall need to do both tho.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear