The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Desk and monitor placement in room with window and closet
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Head

Desk and monitor placement in room with window and closet

Seeking help from you amazing people for this mix room I’m in the process of setting up.

The only room it works in this house has a window that 35” wide and a closet that’s 47” wide.

I’m not sure exactly how to approach positioning the desk and monitors. Please chime in with all advice for positions and treatment options. I’ve attached a diagram to this image. Window is at the top. Closet at the bottom.

Edit, I've loaded a clearer representation of the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Desk and monitor placement in room with window and closet-room-layout-.jpg  
Old 11th September 2020
Does the door open into the room?
Old 11th September 2020
Sorry, but with 2 dimensions that are the same, plus a third that is divisible evenly your frequency response will be too skewed to even consider for a mixing space.

Your peaks and nulls will be strong and wide and there isn't enough depth in the room to consider trapping everything deeply.

You are probably better looking into one of the other spaces and seeing if they are more suitable.
Old 12th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Yes it does.
Old 12th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Sorry, but with 2 dimensions that are the same, plus a third that is divisible evenly your frequency response will be too skewed to even consider for a mixing space.

Your peaks and nulls will be strong and wide and there isn't enough depth in the room to consider trapping everything deeply.

You are probably better looking into one of the other spaces and seeing if they are more suitable.
Eh I don’t really have an alternative. Our basement is currently my tracking room plus our den. With me being a drummer I have hardly any room left in that tracking room for setting up monitors, sub, desk, rack, etc.
Old 12th September 2020
I'm on the side of @ thethrillfactor then.

If you want to use this room though, sitting at the bottom of your drawing would be my choice because you could at least fill up the rear wall with the window.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post

Quote:

I've loaded an updated diagram of the room. Also corrected the dimensions as its a little longer than originally measured.
Old 13th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfen View Post
I've loaded an updated diagram of the room. Also corrected the dimensions as its a little longer than originally measured.
A little longer means what exactly?

In a room with square dimensions the only place to set up that makes sense is near the center of the room.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
A little longer means what exactly?

In a room with square dimensions the only place to set up that makes sense is near the center of the room.
its 11ft by 10
Old 13th September 2020
Quote:
its 11ft by 10
What is the height?
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
What is the height?
8ft.

I currently have the desk about 44 inches from the wall and facing towards the window, with the doors and closet behind me.
Old 13th September 2020
Quote:
8ft.

I currently have the desk about 44 inches from the wall and facing towards the window, with the doors and closet behind me.
The dimensions don't leave you many options. The best i came up with is in the pic below:

Listening position 33% from the front wall and 38% from the floor, speakers 38% from side walls, 20% from front walls and woofers 33% from floor.

60% treatment on every surface except floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Desk and monitor placement in room with window and closet-screen-shot-2020-09-12-11.47.04-pm.jpg  
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
The dimensions don't leave you many options. The best i came up with is in the pic below:

Listening position 33% from the front wall and 38% from the floor, speakers 38% from side walls, 20% from front walls and woofers 33% from floor.

60% treatment on every surface except floor.
This is awesome thanks!!

I was thinking to do diffusers along the wall that’s behind the listening position and figure out a way to put panels on the closet doors maybe.

Gotta sort out the ceiling as I didn’t expect to do 60% dampening. Was focused on just the cloud. Perhaps those GIK soffet baffles
Old 13th September 2020
Quote:
I was thinking to do diffusers along the wall that’s behind the listening position and figure out a way to put panels on the closet doors maybe.

Gotta sort out the ceiling as I didn’t expect to do 60% dampening. Was focused on just the cloud. Perhaps those GIK soffet baffles
Back wall Diffusion? Not recommended in a space as small as yours, especially where you are sitting from the backwall.

And 60% of your walls is basically the the entire front third and entire back third, so you'll need much more than soffet baffles.

Its basically 43" from the front wall and 43 " from backwall, treatment top to bottom for side walls, same for front and back and ceiling front and back.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Back wall Diffusion? Not recommended in a space as small as yours, especially where you are sitting from the backwall.

And 60% of your walls is basically the the entire front third and entire back third, so you'll need much more than soffet baffles.

Its basically 43" from the front wall and 43 " from backwall, treatment top to bottom for side walls, same for front and back and ceiling front and back.
Ok got it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear