The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio desk building
Old 13th August 2020
Studio desk building

Current plan is 24x60" table top, 30" height, legs are 1x2" metal. I will be angling the desk 6 degrees towards me.

Is 60" too wide? (In terms of worrying about comb filtering)
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Current plan is 24x60" table top, 30" height, legs are 1x2" metal. I will be angling the desk 6 degrees towards me.

Is 60" too wide? (In terms of worrying about comb filtering)
The primary concern is going to be whatever bits of the desk are between you and the speakers. Where would you hit with the ping pong ball if the speakers were cups in beer pong?

Wider will do something to the sound in your room, and maybe make a wider "potentially problematic spot." You maybe want to understand where the bounce is going to go, and it's always best to minimize your reflective desk surfaces. But wider is probably a lesser sin than deeper or angled badly with respect to the monitors.
Old 14th August 2020
Okay - thanks for the pointers. I'm hoping this type of design will help - I've sunk the NI S61 keyboard angled and into the desk itself, and all but the keyboard area is angled. I could do that, or just fully angle the entire desk.. not sure what to do, but aesthetically it would look nicer to have the metal legs flat instead of propped up at the back.

I roughly modelled where the sound would bounce off on the desk, and it seems it would be around where the keyboard and angled sides meet.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Okay - thanks for the pointers. I'm hoping this type of design will help - I've sunk the NI S61 keyboard angled and into the desk itself, and all but the keyboard area is angled. I could do that, or just fully angle the entire desk.. not sure what to do, but aesthetically it would look nicer to have the metal legs flat instead of propped up at the back.

I roughly modelled where the sound would bounce off on the desk, and it seems it would be around where the keyboard and angled sides meet.

That's probably a pretty sensible design. One quick note, though, sound is going to bounce off the WHOLE desk, but you're primarily concerned with the bits that hit at the right angle to come directly back to your ears. So if that slight angle on the keyboard and slanted bit redirects those bounces down to your chest, that's better.
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Best View Post
That's probably a pretty sensible design. One quick note, though, sound is going to bounce off the WHOLE desk, but you're primarily concerned with the bits that hit at the right angle to come directly back to your ears. So if that slight angle on the keyboard and slanted bit redirects those bounces down to your chest, that's better.
Yeah, I know from the desk reflections thread that a 6 degree slant is good. I just hope the little keyboard area at the front is close enough to not be reflecting sound directly back up at my ears (at least, not much)
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I know from the desk reflections thread that a 6 degree slant is good. I just hope the little keyboard area at the front is close enough to not be reflecting sound directly back up at my ears (at least, not much)
Alternatively you could use a regular keyboard stand, and use a small rolling laptop cart for the qwerty keys and mouse. Mine serves me well, and is adjustable height and tilt, and the wheels let me scoot it out of the way. They are available for like 40$ at office stores and walmart ect.
📝 Reply