The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to determine the thickness of a superchunk corner bass trap??
Old 12th August 2020
How to determine the thickness of a superchunk corner bass trap??

Hi, I'm trying to see what is the optimum GFR to use for superchuck bass trap I'm going to build for my space.

The profile of the corner bass trap in question has 524mm depth in the middle, and 100mm near the edge ( pls see attached image). Am I correct to assume the thickness is 524mm, which in this case will yield the best results according to the Porous Absorption Calculator an insulation material at 3000-4000 Pa.s /m2.

Would I be correct to assume that instead of looking at the max. depth I have to do an average which is this case is (524+100 ) / 2 = 321mm thickness?

Appreciate if anyone could give me some tips.. trying to figure out which brand and material to use to achieve the best results.
Attached Thumbnails
How to determine the thickness of a superchunk corner bass trap??-screenshot-2020-08-12-23.57.54.jpg   How to determine the thickness of a superchunk corner bass trap??-screenshot-2020-08-12-23.57.02.jpg  
Old 12th August 2020
some images of the design I'm working on for a small home studio space if anyone is interested !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf small studio space acoustics.pdf (2.26 MB, 13 views)
Old 12th August 2020
The corner trap response can't be modeled in the acoustic modeling website unfortunately.

If you straddle a 4" thick semi rigid 24" x 48" absorber across a corner you will get a membrane effect that gives you a boost peak absorption around 70hz.

If you cut triangles, 36" wide is best but something like SNS instead of semi rigid.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

This gets misinterpreted so often...

The corner is a conical horn. The depth is 524 mm.
Old 13th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
This gets misinterpreted so often...

The corner is a conical horn. The depth is 524 mm.
hi thanks for the reply, I read in another post where you mentioned that the same superchuck placed in the corner of a room with a triangle or square profile would have the same effect, just wondering if you could elaborate on that?

many thanks!
Old 13th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The corner trap response can't be modeled in the acoustic modeling website unfortunately.

If you straddle a 4" thick semi rigid 24" x 48" absorber across a corner you will get a membrane effect that gives you a boost peak absorption around 70hz.

If you cut triangles, 36" wide is best but something like SNS instead of semi rigid.
hey thanks! not sure if that answers my questions though
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztronaut View Post
hi thanks for the reply, I read in another post where you mentioned that the same superchuck placed in the corner of a room with a triangle or square profile would have the same effect, just wondering if you could elaborate on that?

many thanks!
If it i filled, it a superchunk. If it is a panel stradling a corner, it is a corner absorber. Superchunks use a different material. You omitted that.
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
If it i filled, it a superchunk. If it is a panel stradling a corner, it is a corner absorber. Superchunks use a different material. You omitted that.
I suppose a superchunk is better than just a triangular corner fill?

I'm planning to use Rockwool at 40kg/m3 to fill a superchunk running about 3/4 of the side walls. It's for a small room, would that be a good idea or do i need to worry about absorption of high freqs?
Old 13th August 2020
Quote:

sorry just wanted to get this straight, so with the same exact material used , in the corner. I'm assuming that the one that is filled as a whole block is more effective in absorbing low freq vs the triangular profiled corner superchunk but you seem to disagree could you explain why this is the case?

many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to determine the thickness of a superchunk corner bass trap??-screenshot-2020-08-13-14.18.45.jpg   How to determine the thickness of a superchunk corner bass trap??-screenshot-2020-08-12-23.57.54.jpg  
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenozeno View Post
I suppose a superchunk is better than just a triangular corner fill?

I'm planning to use Rockwool at 40kg/m3 to fill a superchunk running about 3/4 of the side walls. It's for a small room, would that be a good idea or do i need to worry about absorption of high freqs?
Worry for what? what is the purpose of the room?
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Worry for what? what is the purpose of the room?
It'll be for a control room that can also handle acoustic guitar, vocals tracking.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenozeno View Post
It'll be for a control room that can also handle acoustic guitar, vocals tracking.
At a minimum initial reflectiont need absorption.
๐Ÿ“ Reply