The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hey guys can a iphone be used as a accurate enough SPL Meter
Old 11th August 2020
Hey guys can a iphone be used as a accurate enough SPL Meter

I bought an SPL meter that is only dbA A weigthed i know this can not be used. So my question is can a iphone app be used?
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

My old iphone 6 showed a measurement 10db different from a radio shack meter, and another meter, when i used all three at once, at an outdoor music venue.

For anything critical where hearing loss, sound ordinance compliance, or acoustical design decisions, are considerations, then the iphone won't cut it. At least iphone 6 wouldn't.

I found it useful as a ballpark RTA device to guage frequency content approximately.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
My old iphone 6 showed a measurement 10db different from a radio shack meter, and another meter, when i used all three at once, at an outdoor music venue.

For anything critical where hearing loss, sound ordinance compliance, or acoustical design decisions, are considerations, then the iphone won't cut it. At least iphone 6 wouldn't.

I found it useful as a ballpark RTA device to guage frequency content approximately.
Thanks much for your reply so your saying it is a must to get a good SPL meter. Sigh i was trying to avoid it but if that what it takes i must do it.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickalpha View Post
Thanks much for your reply so your saying it is a must to get a good SPL meter. Sigh i was trying to avoid it but if that what it takes i must do it.
Use the db (a) meter. It wont meter the whole spectrum, but it'll get you ball park enough to calibrate REW/basic monitor trim levels.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Use the db (a) meter. It wont meter the whole spectrum, but it'll get you ball park enough to calibrate REW/basic monitor trim levels.
Hey Jason thanks for your reply so your saying i can use the dbA meter to get in the ball park with REW
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Jason thanks for your reply so your saying i can use the dbA meter to get in the ball park with REW
Yes. Dont get me wrong, its not ideal, but for a one time thing for your personal home studio, id give it a shot vs buying another meter. Just be sure to understand the difference between dba and dbc.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-dba-spl.htm
Ive never used that link before, it just popped up in google, but it might be helpful for you
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Yes. Dont get me wrong, its not ideal, but for a one time thing for your personal home studio, id give it a shot vs buying another meter. Just be sure to understand the difference between dba and dbc.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-dba-spl.htm
Ive never used that link before, it just popped up in google, but it might be helpful for you
Jason Thanks a lot man this helped a lot man. The link worked
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It depends what you need it for. The old radio shack meters were well liked, and cost about $30. They are discontinued now. It doesn't have to be particularly expensive unless your doing real serious measurement work regularly.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

I've a few SPL Meters for my iPhone 8.

They each lined up well to my handheld RS meter.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
It depends what you need it for. The old radio shack meters were well liked, and cost about $30. They are discontinued now. It doesn't have to be particularly expensive unless your doing real serious measurement work regularly.
I need it to calibrate my monitors For REW to test my room
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

Okay, so your saying an iPhone can be used. Which app did you use
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, so your saying an iPhone can be used. Which app did you use
For my iPhone, I use:

Decibel-X

SPL Meter

[there are others ... but these 2 work just fine].

And for setup for REW ... they will do the job.

I also use these meters to calibrate the 4 separate Monitors in the Control Room, so that switching between any of them are at the same SPL.

Something to keep in mind ... the 'exact' measured number is not so critical [as long as it isn't totally whacked].

The key is consistency ... and using the proper setting [usually C-weighted, SLOW]

hope that helps.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

One dB? Two dB? Three dB?
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need it to calibrate my monitors For REW to test my room
Im pretty sure rew will calibrate for your spl meter assuming it has an audio out. It compensates for the meter's response (to a certain extent). Im not even sure weighting matters in this case.

I haven't used it for like 8 years, but when i did they already had a calibration file for my meter. But i could also manually go thru the calibration process.

Last edited by Kyle P. Gushue; 12th August 2020 at 07:20 AM..
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
One dB? Two dB? Three dB?
Hi avare ... measuring PINK noise, the two mentioned iPhone apps read the same. [both have a max hold display].

Comparing to the RadioShack meter, they are about 1-2 dB ... mindful that PINK can be a bit jumpy, and the RS is an analogue [vu] meter [that goes through some fluctuation].

They all read so close. I have a tripod stand to hold during measuring.

The RS, I kinda need to be near by to watch the meter, but with the iPhone app, I can see those digital readouts easier, and the max value is stable.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi avare ... measuring PINK noise, the two mentioned iPhone apps read the same. [both have a max hold display].

Comparing to the RadioShack meter, they are about 1-2 dB ... mindful that PINK can be a bit jumpy, and the RS is an analogue [vu] meter [that goes through some fluctuation].

They all read so close. I have a tripod stand to hold during measuring.

The RS, I kinda need to be near by to watch the meter, but with the iPhone app, I can see those digital readouts easier, and the max value is stable.
Thank you.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
For my iPhone, I use:

Decibel-X

SPL Meter

[there are others ... but these 2 work just fine].

And for setup for REW ... they will do the job.

I also use these meters to calibrate the 4 separate Monitors in the Control Room, so that switching between any of them are at the same SPL.

Something to keep in mind ... the 'exact' measured number is not so critical [as long as it isn't totally whacked].

The key is consistency ... and using the proper setting [usually C-weighted, SLOW]

hope that helps.
Thanks much RJHollins i am going to try this out thanks much for your reply
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Im pretty sure rew will calibrate for your spl meter assuming it has an audio out. It compensates for the meter's response (to a certain extent). Im not even sure weighting matters in this case.

I haven't used it for like 8 years, but when i did they already had a calibration file for my meter. But i could also manually go thru the calibration process.
Okay so your suggesting i can use the A-weighting it won't make any difference
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

L / R Similar level

Quote:
Okay so your suggesting i can use the A-weighting it won't make any difference
Use REW Speaker Cal as it's a band-limited pink noise 500-2kHz in order to help the user getting a decent level.
A or C makes just a couple of dB difference in that area
iPhone will do.

The SPL figure (70 or 80dB) is not that important "calibrating" loudspeaker.

Too loud will likely clip the signal (=corrupt measurement) or destroy a small speaker.

Too low and you'll get a noisy measurement.

Tip: Use the same level every time you measure.

Best
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post

Use REW Speaker Cal as it's a band-limited pink noise 500-2kHz in order to help the user getting a decent level.
A or C makes just a couple of dB difference in that area
iPhone will do.

The SPL figure (70 or 80dB) is not that important "calibrating" loudspeaker.

Too loud will likely clip the signal (=corrupt measurement) or destroy a small speaker.

Too low and you'll get a noisy measurement.

Tip: Use the same level every time you measure.

Best
Thanks Much akebrake for your reply this explains a lot
Old 12th August 2020
Thanks much to everyone for your replies this helped a lot
πŸ“ Reply