The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oddly shaped room, listening position, treatment
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Oddly shaped room, listening position, treatment

Hope this is the right place to post this.

My music room is a rather oddly shaped space (only space available in the house). The general size is carpeted, 12 feet x 10 feet (145.5 inches x 121") with soffits on the short ends making the ceiling two heights: 8 feet center and 7 feet under the soffits. In addition, our basement is a subfloor so there is a gap under it that is about 2 ft from the actual ground. Meaning my floor is sitting on 3/4" OSB attached to steel 2x12 studs.

I know the general practice is to put the listening position on the short wall, however given the shape of the room, I'm not sure that will be possible:

One of the short walls has an egress window well on left roughly 2' from the corner and a door on the right that is only 4" from the corner (so no ability for bass trapping there). The other short wall has drywall on the left but a 45 deg angle in the corner on the right. In addition, there are soffits above each of the short walls. The only place to stick my listening area so that both sides are drywall and don't have funky angles is along a long wall opposite the egress window. The other long wall has the egress window (not in center of room) and the 45 deg angled section on the left. The 45 deg angle is required because the radon mitigation/humidity mitigation fan is behind there and it is a removable access panel.

I have a room calibration mic coming soon and will use REW to see what I am truly up against, but I can already tell I have two big issues (which may be obvious to some): massive low frequency standing waves literally everywhere except the center of the room (in particular around 55 Hz, 125 Hz, ~ 250 Hz, etc... ). The fan noise is also a problem - 55-60 cycle fan noise all the time (though I have tried with insulation to mask it)

So, I guess all that to say I'm looking for some helpful community advice on where the best place to put my listening position in and what type of acoustical treatment I should use. I put up mid-high absorbers (see photos) both on the walls and ceiling but alas I took many down due to the room being too dead and lifeless.

My monitors are JBL 305PMs (5 inch) with a 40 inch space between. Running a Scarlet 2x4 audio interface. My desk is 59 x 29 (requirement due to the amount of stuff I have to have on the desk)

I will also be putting in some book cases and storage shelving (IKEA stuff) and will have my guitar gear in there (head, 2x12 cab, pedal board, etc...)

Anyhoo, thanks for any helpful advice! (Yes, I do know that the room isn't ideal but got no choice on that :-) )

Photo Links:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11uN...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11vd...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12-R...ew?usp=sharing
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

I think in a room that small I'd shy away from ANYTHING thin and absorptive. Do as much corner bass trapping as you possibly can wherever you have corners (horizontal or vertical), treat your first reflection points with something broadband (4"+?) and then stop, listen, and test.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear