The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice Needed for treating our temporary broadcast room
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Advice Needed for treating our temporary broadcast room

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to thank everyone for all of their knowledge that they've shared on these forums.

We are using this room as a temporary (until sunday school resumes, if it does in the near future..please excuse the clutter!!!) broadcast room to mix our livestream audio seperate from our FOH (front of house) mix. When we move rooms later (seperate thread for later), i'll have 2 rooms to choose from so i'll be bugging you all to see which would be the better choice!

I've made the following panels at home with Rockwool safe n sound:
-2 of 16"wide x48"tall x 6" deep 'bass traps' (kinda small I know)
-10 of 30"wide x48"tall x3" deep broadband absorbers
EDIT: I meant 30wide not 24 wide for the broadbands, sorry!

Here are the Safe n sound specs:
Thickness,125 Hz,250 Hz,500 Hz,1000 Hz,2000 Hz,4000 Hz,NRC
3",0.52,0.96,1.18,1.07,1.05,1.05,1.05

Speakers are Yamaha HS7, with 32" monitor (and a 27" on top?)
I had a Behringer X32 producer in the chair next to mix position, but we will soon have a behringer Wing that will sit where keyboard and mouse is currently.

The room is approx 14.75ft wide, 26.1667ft long, and 11.667ft tall.
Mix position is approx 136" (or 142"?) from front wall.

As you can see from my pictures, i've attempted to treat my early reflection points (even by trying to jimmy rig a panel in the air above the mix position).

Based on my REW files and measurements (i've done a both speaker, L speaker, R speaker, and a no sound measurement(s) in the file attached), any tips or things I should try? or do I just need way more panels?

The pics are 1/48 smoothed I believe.

Thank you so much for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice Needed for treating our temporary broadcast room-img_2895.jpg   Advice Needed for treating our temporary broadcast room-img_2896.jpg   Advice Needed for treating our temporary broadcast room-img_2897.jpg   Advice Needed for treating our temporary broadcast room-img_2898.jpg   Advice Needed for treating our temporary broadcast room-room-fr.jpg  

Advice Needed for treating our temporary broadcast room-room-waterfall.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat Room.mdat (5.72 MB, 14 views)
Old 13th August 2020
Have to ask: What are you trying to achieve? You have monitors in the room but want to record voiceover?

Turn the treble on the speakers down a bit.

Bass rolls off very early, probably because you're away from a wall. But that may not be an issue if this is only for voice.

My gut feeling is your treatment works up to 80 Hz or so.

Are you sitting halfway between left to right?

The desk reflection is relatively quiet, good. The rear wall reflections are pretty strong though and you have no treatment on the rear wall which is very effective.

The overall shape of decay times is uneven. To even it out, you'll need real bass traps (deeper than 6").
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

The room looks a light on bass trapping based on the photos. Id also be very careful if this is that the panels are using fire treated fabric. Insurance might not cover damage otherwise, and people could die and go to jail, even if the fire is not caused by the panels. Having them not permanently fixed to the wall might change things, but it is not worth messing around. Make sure your following the codes/laws.
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks Kyle! I will definitely look into that!

Johann,
I should have been more clear. Perhaps I shouldn't have said 'broadcast' room.
During service, I have all of the raw audio from the church coming into my computer via usb where we then mix the audio via DAW during the service (separate from the live sound in the sanctuary), which will then be sent to the youtube/livestream.
(There will not be any voiceovers going on)

Should I move the setup closer to the wall? I was just trying to use the 38%ish rule as a starting point.

If I understood correctly, my panels are probably only working 'down' to 80hz? as in they're probably not helping on the 79hz and lower freqs?

The speakers are equal distance from the left and right walls, and my listening spot is in the center (between left and right)

Should I move more of my side panels to the rear wall? or build more and add to the rear wall?

How many bass traps should I add? (I could maybe make some 48x16x9" thick---or do i need deeper)?

Thank you everyone for your input and help!!!
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmogovan View Post
Should I move the setup closer to the wall?
Yes, and that should also be pretty easy to experiment with. Move the microphone and the desk back closer to the front wall half a meter, measure, repeat.

Quote:
If I understood correctly, my panels are probably only working 'down' to 80hz? as in they're probably not helping on the 79hz and lower freqs?
Absorption in porous absorbers as I understand drops off, it's not on or off below a certain frequency.

80 Hz and above, your amplitude response was relatively flat, below that not very much, hence my assumption.

Quote:
The speakers are equal distance from the left and right walls, and my listening spot is in the center (between left and right)
Great.

Quote:
Should I move more of my side panels to the rear wall? or build more and add to the rear wall?

How many bass traps should I add? (I could maybe make some 48x16x9" thick---or do i need deeper)?
Ideally, you'd cover the entire rear wall with treatment. The depth depends on what material you're using but 9" sounds more reasonable. The Caruso Iso-Bond that I have on my rear wall is 30 cm deep.
📝 Reply