The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best construction technique and materials to convert a closet into a guitar booth?
Old 11th August 2020
Best construction technique and materials to convert a closet into a guitar booth?

My mix room is around 225 sq ft. and there is a bathroom an closet off to one side. This used to be a wood workshop and the closet is 4 ft X 6 ft with 8.5 ft ceiling and used to house the air compressor. I'd like to convert that into a iso room for guitar amps. There's a 36" door which I would replace with a solid core door. The floor is cement slab and the cement foundation goes up around 8 inches. The walls are all drywall and filled with insulation.

What is my best approach?

Another layer of drywall with Green Glue or Furring channel?

Frame a room within a room?

How much insulation?

Neoprene with a wood floor?

Any tips are appreciated.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

It really depends on how much isolation you need. Are you just isolating a set of nearfield speakers, from the guitar amp? The guitar amp from the neighbors? How loud is the amp, and are you using just close mics, or some distance mics too?

One thing i can say for sure is you don't need any neoprene for the floor. The rest is firmly dependent on your needs and budget.
Old 13th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
It really depends on how much isolation you need. Are you just isolating a set of nearfield speakers, from the guitar amp? The guitar amp from the neighbors? How loud is the amp, and are you using just close mics, or some distance mics too?

One thing i can say for sure is you don't need any neoprene for the floor. The rest is firmly dependent on your needs and budget.
Mainly trying to isolate the noise I make to the outside world/ neighbors. It's not terrible at the moment but I'd love to bring it down a bit. Looking into solid core doors at the moment. Just not sure if additional layers of drywall/ mass will be enough or do I need to frame a room in a room?
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock View Post
Mainly trying to isolate the noise I make to the outside world/ neighbors. It's not terrible at the moment but I'd love to bring it down a bit. Looking into solid core doors at the moment. Just not sure if additional layers of drywall/ mass will be enough or do I need to frame a room in a room?
The only way to be sure is to play at the loudest level your likely to use, and measure it with an spl meter.

That will tell you how much isolation you need, and you can decide wich method will best do that. Unless you need just a couple db of extra isolation, your probably gonna need to use decoupling. The mass (law) is exponentially expensive, so you want to make gains in other ways before resorting to it.

You may find a load box/speaker attenuation box is a more practical solution. This new mesa boogie unit isn't the lowest priced out there, but sounds phenomenal to me in this demo.

https://youtu.be/4ofubIc-cXU

Last edited by Kyle P. Gushue; 13th August 2020 at 11:30 PM..
Old 16th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
The only way to be sure is to play at the loudest level your likely to use, and measure it with an spl meter.

That will tell you how much isolation you need, and you can decide wich method will best do that. Unless you need just a couple db of extra isolation, your probably gonna need to use decoupling. The mass (law) is exponentially expensive, so you want to make gains in other ways before resorting to it.

You may find a load box/speaker attenuation box is a more practical solution. This new mesa boogie unit isn't the lowest priced out there, but sounds phenomenal to me in this demo.

https://youtu.be/4ofubIc-cXU

I have a Fryette Power Station and that thing works great. I still need to turn up my Super Reverb Sometimes though.

Looking at framing out another wall and ceiling with 2x3 lumber and using drywall on the inside. The current room is finished in drywall already. I'm reading about the triple leaf effect and that it would be beneficial to remove the drywall that's inside the room.
Old 16th August 2020
If I wanted to build an isolation booth for guitars I would use sand bags as noise insulation material.
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock View Post
I have a Fryette Power Station and that thing works great. I still need to turn up my Super Reverb Sometimes though.

Looking at framing out another wall and ceiling with 2x3 lumber and using drywall on the inside. The current room is finished in drywall already. I'm reading about the triple leaf effect and that it would be beneficial to remove the drywall that's inside the room.
Gotcha. 2x3's are not suitable for load bearing walls. Your most likely looking at 2x4 walls with 2x6 ceiling joists. 2x4s *might* be able to be used for the ceiling if the span is small enough. You can tuck the 2x6s in between existing ceiling joists, leaving a 1" airspace, and you wont loose much headroom.

You will have to remove the existing inner layer of drywall on the walls and ceiling. Do it carefully, and you can put in in the existing wall and ceiling bays. This will add more mass to the outer shell, keeping things better isolated.
📝 Reply