The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tall Square vs. Long Narrow Room - What would you choose?
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Head

Tall Square vs. Long Narrow Room - What would you choose?

I have two rooms available, and a budget of around $5000 - $8000 to put towards acoustic treatments where I hope to achieve a mixing/mastering control room level of sound.

Room 1): 23 x 9.5 x 9

Room 2): 17 x 17 x 24

Could such results even be achieved for around that budget, or should I be revising my expectations?

And - what would be your design strategy to acoustically treat each room?

I'm particularly keen on the 17x17x24 but I think there may be some challenges given the high ceilings.

Some info:

Both rooms have acoustic ceiling tile at the top.

This dropbox link contains pictures and videos of the spot if anyone is interested in taking a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nrnuduql1...WeWfjl69a?dl=0
Old 10th August 2020
The larger room, w/ more open dimensions, will be much more forgiving, acoustically.

I’ll leave the approach to those more qualified.
Old 11th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by deancain View Post
I have two rooms available, and a budget of around $5000 - $8000 to put towards acoustic treatments where I hope to achieve a mixing/mastering control room level of sound.

Room 1): 23 x 9.5 x 9

Room 2): 17 x 17 x 24

Could such results even be achieved for around that budget, or should I be revising my expectations?

I'm particularly keen on the 17x17x24 but I think there may be some challenges given the high ceilings.

Some info:

Both rooms have acoustic ceiling tile at the top.

This dropbox link contains pictures and videos of the spot if anyone is interested in taking a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nrnuduql1...WeWfjl69a?dl=0
Is this a rental or something you own?

You didn't mention anything about sound isolation and current HVAC.
Those 2 things alone will eat your budget in a hot minute.

High ceilings are always a plus.
Old 13th August 2020
Quote:
Depends on what level you have in mind. Much better than untreated, sure. Top level acoustics, maybe not as much.

Quote:
If you want to make money from this, get a design by someone who knows his stuff.

If it's just for yourself, fill up the room with bass traps until the bass is within a couple of dBs first.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Depends on what level you have in mind. Much better than untreated, sure. Top level acoustics, maybe not as much.

If you want to make money from this, get a design by someone who knows his stuff.

If it's just for yourself, fill up the room with bass traps until the bass is within a couple of dBs first.
Thanks for the input.

Would you stack corner traps all the way up to the ceiling???
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Would you stack corner traps all the way up to the ceiling???
You'll need more than just corner traps. You need to treat the entire rear wall. Floor to ceiling.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
You'll need more than just corner traps. You need to treat the entire rear wall. Floor to ceiling.
I am intending to do thick absorbing panels on all 4 of the walls, wood diffusion on the front and rear in the middle area.

What would be your ratio of panels vs traps vs diffusion?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
What would be your ratio of panels vs traps vs diffusion?
I have some diffusion above the side wall traps but simply because I didn't feel like mounting serious weight up there.

If I'd do it again, I'd just have one basstrap at floor level and another one above it.

In short, go all bass traps at first and worry about diffusion later. My opinion.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear