The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using moving blankets for recording vocals?
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Using moving blankets for recording vocals?

So I'm considering and buying these moving blankets from amazon:

shorturl.at/bhACN

My room is pretty deadened to a certain extent (I have a carpet floor, a window but covered with curtains, a bed in the corner, dressers and desks, and lots of papers on the wall) but would this help in making my vocal recordings drier if I hung these behind me? And how could I go about in trying to hang these? I've heard of using mic stands but I'm worried that these blankets might be too heavy for them.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear
Not a valid link to your blankets. Maybe try again.

I generally find sound blankets more useful in a large reflective space. . .and will support them with clamps on heavy C-stands.

But sound blankets can be useful later even if they don't work out well for you in this situation.

Can you get some hooks [e.g. for hanging lamps or plants] to clamp them to the ceiling?

Best wishes,

Ray H.

And depending on what I was hearing, I may much prefer adding diffusion to scatter the high frequencies rather than an absorber to deaden them. . .or some liberal mix of the two.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Moving blankets can help if mid and high frequency rings are a problem.
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Apologies for the invalid link. Here's another one: https://www.amazon.com/moving-blanke...s%2C184&sr=8-5

I can't really tell which frequencies I need to handle. But if I had to guess, it'd probably be low to mid frequencies.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawisthemotto View Post
Apologies for the invalid link. Here's another one: https://www.amazon.com/moving-blanke...s%2C184&sr=8-5

I can't really tell which frequencies I need to handle. But if I had to guess, it'd probably be low to mid frequencies.
You'll want to know what are the frequencies of concern, as its possible to make things worse particularly in the low mids/lows with blankets. Perhaps posting a test recording can help narrow things down.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear