The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cooling down home studio
Old 8th August 2020
Cooling down home studio

Hi there, I need to somehow control temperature in my home studio. The room is pretty small (~10 m^2). On one hand I don't have many heat generators, but on the other hand there is no windows (theoretically there is one but I covered it to get rid of very loud street noise). Last time I had a vocalist recording here it got hot very quickly and also amount of water in the air made me started to worry about eventual mould in future. ASAIK the best solution would be split ac but I only rent this place so unfortunately this is not an option. There are portable units that I would have to keep inside the room but for what I understand they have hot air extract system which I can't connect anywhere and/or they humidify the air even more. Has any of you had a similar situation or maybe you just heard about a way how to do it? Any help will be appreciated
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

you can run an upright AC and dehumidifier, and turn them off when recording. Some include a remote control, or you can use a smart plug, or footswitch.

You can use a thru wall ac or window ac and just make a door for it to maintain isolation when not in use.

Otherwise you need a proper split ac, and hrv unit, or ducted system.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Repeating what Kyle has said in different words: To cool the air the AC has to dispose of the heat somewhere. With portable units there will be a hose that you need to make a hole in a door (like a cat flap) or a window for. To dehumidify the air the AC has to dispose of the water it collects, which portable units do into an internal bucket which you will need to empty from time to time. Maybe you could buy a replacement door, put the existing one in storage until you leave and then you are free to put a hole in your new door for the AC.
Old 9th August 2020
Sounds like a plan! Thank you so much
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear