The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I Build a Vocal Booth in my Garage Conversion
Old 7th August 2020
Should I Build a Vocal Booth in my Garage Conversion

Hello, I am converting my garage into a studio space. I am trying to decide whether I should create a vocal booth using what was once a HAM radio shack in the back of the garage.

My priorities are:

1) Isolation in the control room (the larger space). Keeping sound inside the studio and away from my wife and neighbors.

2) Acoustics in the vocal booth (making vocals recorded in the booth sound good

I mostly record hip hop and neosoul-ish music.

My big question is, based on the size of this closet area, should I create a vocal booth? Is the depth of this space too shallow, and will it result in increasing reflections or making a boxy sounding booth? I plan on using what ever space is not converted to vocal booth for storage.

Am I better off recording vocals in the larger room with a moving blankets surrounding the mic?

Can you give is some advice/guidance on how to achieve the best sounding booth as possible, given the limitations of the depth of the booth space?

I'd rather not move the wall separating the booth space from the larger room.

I've attached an image of my room dimensions. I hope my questions and description of the room are clear enough.

The entire room is (approx) 208" x 251". The space I'd like to use for a booth is 65" deep.

Attached Thumbnails
Should I Build a Vocal Booth in my Garage Conversion-booth_studio.jpg  
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsuthaironchef View Post
Hello, I am converting my garage into a studio space. I am trying to decide whether I should create a vocal booth using what was once a HAM radio shack in the back of the garage.

My priorities are:

1) Isolation in the control room (the larger space). Keeping sound inside the studio and away from my wife and neighbors.

2) Acoustics in the vocal booth (making vocals recorded in the booth sound good

I mostly record hip hop and neosoul-ish music.

My big question is, based on the size of this closet area, should I create a vocal booth? Is the depth of this space too shallow, and will it result in increasing reflections or making a boxy sounding booth? I plan on using what ever space is not converted to vocal booth for storage.

Am I better off recording vocals in the larger room with a moving blankets surrounding the mic?

Can you give is some advice/guidance on how to achieve the best sounding booth as possible, given the limitations of the depth of the booth space?

I'd rather not move the wall separating the booth space from the larger room.

I've attached an image of my room dimensions. I hope my questions and description of the room are clear enough.

The entire room is (approx) 208" x 251". The space I'd like to use for a booth is 65" deep.

It can be done but takes alot of planning. For one you are opening the door to booth into the control room not a sound lock, which means the doors and all seals have to be top notch. It also means there is always the possibility that sound from the control room can get into the booth.

One thing is in order to isolate it you will lose up to a foot all around. So 65" shrinks down to 41" which is not bad. But the wall treatments will shrink it more . The recommended is 8" but that will shrink the width down to 25" which doesn't give you much space to move around in, so your left to either 4"-6". The back and front you can make deep as well as ceiling.

In this thread i wrote a whole bunch of things you have to consider as well, most important is ventilation. If the ventilation isn't done correctly it will destroy the whole purpose of a room for isolation. Will you have a different thermostat for the booth? Will it be one for everything?
Vocalbooth Challenge: Triangular Corner Booth

Lastly how do you plan to communicate with talent in the booth visually? Are you going to have glass in the wall? Or glass in the door? Either has to be designed air tight and properly.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
It can be done but takes alot of planning. For one you are opening the door to booth into the control room not a sound lock, which means the doors and all seals have to be top notch. It also means there is always the possibility that sound from the control room can get into the booth.

One thing is in order to isolate it you will lose up to a foot all around. So 65" shrinks down to 41" which is not bad. But the wall treatments will shrink it more . The recommended is 8" but that will shrink the width down to 25" which doesn't give you much space to move around in, so your left to either 4"-6". The back and front you can make deep as well as ceiling.

In this thread i wrote a whole bunch of things you have to consider as well, most important is ventilation. If the ventilation isn't done correctly it will destroy the whole purpose of a room for isolation. Will you have a different thermostat for the booth? Will it be one for everything?
Vocalbooth Challenge: Triangular Corner Booth

Lastly how do you plan to communicate with talent in the booth visually? Are you going to have glass in the wall? Or glass in the door? Either has to be designed air tight and properly.

Thanks @ thethrillfactor . Isolation in the booth isn't that important to me. Acoustics are my main concern. I'm basically trying to determine if it's better to record vocals in the bigger room, or the smaller partitioned space.

I'm thinking in the bigger room, I've got more ambient sound, air conditioning, computer noise, other people in the room, but possible fewer reflections. I'm concerned the smaller room will have more reflections and possibly sound boxy, while giving me more isolation from the sounds in the larger room.

I would like to have a window to visually communicate with the artist, and set up a simple intercom.

For ventilation, there won't be any in the smaller partitioned area. There will be a mini-split in the larger room. I'm just going to have to keep the booth door open between takes to keep the room as cool as possible. I'm in the San Fernando Valley LA, so it get's very hot here.

The larger room will be built using resilient channel construction for the dry wall, in order to keep most of the sound in the larger space. That's where most of my sound will be, coming from my monitors.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Thanks @ thethrillfactor . Isolation in the booth isn't that important to me. .
The only reason to build a booth is to be able to completely isolate a performer from the rest of the surroundings to record them. So its totally perplexing that you consider it not important.

If that's the case then why go through the hassle and extra expense?

Just record them in the control room.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
The only reason to build a booth is to be able to completely isolate a performer from the rest of the surroundings to record them. So its totally perplexing that you consider it not important.

If that's the case then why go through the hassle and extra expense?

Just record them in the control room.

It's not that isolation doesn't matter at all. I'm going to get more isolation from control room sounds in the smaller partitioned area than I would recording vocals in the larger control room. That's basically what I do now. I place a bass trap in front and behind the vocalist, and surround them with moving blankets attached to the ceiling. But in this scenario, I've got almost no isolation from control room sounds.

My question is whether reflections will be added and a boxy sound produced by using this partitioned space as a booth, and how to avoid them given the 5.5' depth of the partitioned space.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
It's not that isolation doesn't matter at all. I'm going to get more isolation from control room sounds in the smaller partitioned area than I would recording vocals in the larger control room. That's basically what I do now. I place a bass trap in front and behind the vocalist, and surround them with moving blankets attached to the ceiling. But in this scenario, I've got almost no isolation from control room sounds.

My question is whether reflections will be added and a boxy sound produced by using this partitioned space as a booth, and how to avoid them given the 5.5' depth of the partitioned space.
Forget about the booth acoustics for a second, if your monitoring leaks into the booth because its not properly isolated you will get comb filtering and feedback when the vocal mic mixes with the bleed from the control room monitoring. So it has to be built correctly.

If designed, built correctly and treated the best you can, it will sound dead but airy. Here in NYC i've designed and built many isolation/vocal booths for people in different locations( to get large rooms seems almost impossible here), So in a space your size it can be done, but its just not easy.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Forget about the booth acoustics for a second, if your monitoring leaks into the booth because its not properly isolated you will get comb filtering and feedback when the vocal mic mixes with the bleed from the control room monitoring. So it has to be built correctly.

If designed, built correctly and treated the best you can, it will sound dead but airy. Here in NYC i've designed and built many isolation/vocal booths for people in different locations( to get large rooms seems almost impossible here), So in a space your size it can be done, but its just not easy.
I plan on monitoring into headphones from the control room while tracking artists in the booth. I have to monitor this way currently, since I'm recording artists in the control room.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:

I think I'm ok with only achieving "better" isolation than recording in the control room. I'm just not trying to have a boxy sound.

Can you give me some advice on how to achieve good acoustics in my booth space, given the dimensions?
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Can you give me some advice on how to achieve good acoustics in my booth space, given the dimensions?
Go completely 8" deep SnS on long walls, complete 12" Deep fluffy on shortwalls and cpmplete ceiling 12"-15" deep. You will need to build a frame to support all the insulation and keep in place. You can staple fabric afterwards.

One thing is it will get really, really hot with all the insulation.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Go completely 8" deep SnS on long walls, complete 12" Deep fluffy on shortwalls and cpmplete ceiling 12"-15" deep. You will need to build a frame to support all the insulation and keep in place. You can staple fabric afterwards.

Thanks a ton. I'm thinking if I'm willing to go through the trouble and spend the money it will take to insulate with all of that material, I mine as well just move the partition wall further into the larger area. There's no insulation in there, just studs, so maybe it won't be too hard.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:

Is this the SNS you're talking about?

https://www.rockwool.com/products/sa...ications&Sizes

What's the best way of routing cords and cables from the booth to the control room? Behind the drywall like electrical wires?
๐Ÿ“ Reply