The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Art Focused Diffusers from Etsy
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear
Art Focused Diffusers from Etsy

Hey guys! I've been obsessing over my studio rebuild, build 6 bass traps around the front and side of my room and am building another 6 panels for the back and a few more in other places. My room is strangely shaped. Its like if a 20' x 14' room was bent 15 degrees half way through. Attached a sketch to show you

I am building a ton of traps but am curious about the use of a diffuser on my back wall. I have a huge area rug and foam underlay on the bottom and was thinking a back diffuser might keep some life in my room while I panel so much of the walls. I really want this diffuser in the link below, but am unsure if it'll actually achieve anything. It doesn't seem to be done to any actually mathematical arrangement like a QDR or skyline diffuser, so will it do anything or just ruin the acoustics in my room? I've never worked with diffusion but I like the look and seems like my room is an ideal candidate for it

Here is the product
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7662972..._click=1&frs=1

Here is the strange dimensions of my studio. Sorry for my horrible usage of sketch up. Curtains over both doorways
Attached Thumbnails
Art Focused Diffusers from Etsy-my-studio.jpg  
Old 7th August 2020
If you added meters and increased the size somewhat, I could maybe see something I could work with...
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
If you added meters and increased the size somewhat, I could maybe see something I could work with...
Hey sorry johann by increase the size you mean if the panel was bigger than 4’ x 2 feet you think it could work? As in it’s just too small to effect anything. But if I had say 3 in the back wall that might make a difference? I guess what I’m more confused about is why some diffusers are so mathematically perfect and some are just a bunch of random angles.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDJMAN View Post
Hey sorry johann by increase the size you mean if the panel was bigger than 4’ x 2 feet you think it could work?
No, I was talking about your screenshot. It's just too damn small and adding meters would help.
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
No, I was talking about your screenshot. It's just too damn small and adding meters would help.
Ohhhh haha. Gotchya. Ok I’ll update that shortly. Not sure why it downgraded the quality while uploading. But roughly, The left wall is 5 meters with that 15 degree kink. And the right wall is roughly 7meters. Front wall is a little more than 7m and back wall is 4.3 meters. It’s a 2.4 meters tall. It’s a crazy shaped room, but I feel like that makes the flections work in my favor. The really only build ups I have are based on a 40hz / 80hz boost in the front left corner and back right corner. Besides that it seems pretty even
Old 7th August 2020
You'll also have to provide measurements at some point. A room without symmetry will be hard to work with, I think.
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear
Yeah do you want to see a waterfall graph to see how the delay is working in the room? I’ve been using room wizard EQ a bit and am getting the hang of it. Still little confused about how to derive accurate readings when inches different measurement positions creates a pretty different result, but think overall it shows the problem areas
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Yeah do you want to see a waterfall graph to see how the delay is working in the room?
Post the actual .mdat, please. Also, make sure you're measuring L+R separately. Notes and a few more measurement positions are always nice.
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear
Yes will do in a few hours once I have my back panels back up. Thanks for helping!
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Post the actual .mdat, please. Also, make sure you're measuring L+R separately. Notes and a few more measurement positions are always nice.
Here you go. Clearly the left speaker is in that corner so the bass is way out of control there. Struggling to control that
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Here you go. Clearly the left speaker is in that corner so the bass is way out of control there. Struggling to control that

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ymg8toeut...SaRQ4ySPa?dl=0
Old 8th August 2020
Do you have your speakers on stands or on a desk? If on a desk, get them on stands.

The impulse response shows many very loud reflections from probably floor-ceiling, ceiling and other boundaries to the 35 ms mark. Find those and treat them.

What speakers are you using? Are they on-axis with the microphone? The 1 kHz region is very uneven (crossover points?).

You will need treatment that can reduce the 35 Hz mode but, due to the layout of the room, I couldn't even tell you which one that is. Side walls will probably require deep treatment as well.

Don't worry about diffusers at the moment, you have bigger problems.
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear
Genelec 8040s on stands behind my desk maybe 30cm from the wall and Adam Sub 8 under the desk. Maybe I should just not even use the sub? Crossover is set pretty low around 67Hz right now since the speakers are covering above that pretty well.

Yep been trying to figure out that low end. Yesterday I found that the 35 -45 Hz resonating hard in the right cut out by the upright piano so I’m going to build two floor to ceiling square bass traps 30cm x 60cm x 243cm there and need to figure out how to do it by my desk where it resonates too. The back wall seems pretty quiet in that range even though it’s empty there now. Unfortunately I don’t think I can hang anything above me since it’ll hang too low and make the room feel silly. Been trying to figure this out.
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
What speakers are you using? Are they on-axis with the microphone? The 1 kHz region is very uneven (crossover points?).
as for this, the mic I’m using is the Sonarworks measurement mic which I thought you just point up but now looking at their instructions I realize you are suppose to point straight at the center between the speakers right? Or do you point at each speaker for individual speakers testing.
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
as for this, the mic I’m using is the Sonarworks measurement mic which I thought you just point up but now looking at their instructions I realize you are suppose to point straight at the center between the speakers right? Or do you point at each speaker for individual speakers testing.
Put the microphone where you're sitting at the height of your ears. Arrange your monitors so that their acoustic axis is on the same level as the microphone. If the manufacturer doesn't specific acoustic axis, the halfway point betwen drivers is probably a safe bet. With good monitors, a few cms doesn't change much.
Old 8th August 2020
these look nice but they aren't proper diffusers, it's a waste of money.
📝 Reply