The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is using a limited band pink noise to calibrate studio monitors more accurate
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head

Is using a limited band pink noise to calibrate studio monitors more accurate

I would like to now if using a limited band is more accurate
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

No, play full range. I only ever see band limited being recommended for using RTA to find listening position. (Saves the tweeters)
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

what jason said - use band limiting for sweeps only...

...but then, i can't see many applications in a studio; different story in live sr (to align mulitple arrays with different bandwith)
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear
Here 500hz/2khz

https://www.masteringthemix.com/blog...ur-home-studio

There are not one way in studio contrary to what is implied.
The issue with the full band is the increasing of spl due to a bad low frequency traitement.

And

Use your own methodology, the one that gives you the best results.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Here 500hz/2khz

https://www.masteringthemix.com/blog...ur-home-studio

There are not one way in studio contrary to what is implied.
The issue with the full band is the increasing of spl due to a bad low frequency traitement.

And

Use your own methodology, the one that gives you the best results.
Thats a good point. I can see a benefit to band limiting if there was a high peak falsely skewing the calibration. Thank you for that.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

i disagree: limit levels, not the band if you fear about your gear.

(plus the statement in the first paragraph to mix to specific levels depending on release format/platform is ridiculous)
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i disagree: limit levels, not the band if you fear about your gear.

(plus the statement in the first paragraph to mix to specific levels depending on release format/platform is ridiculous)
Oh, i didnt read his link. I thought he was saying limit if there was a hypothetical peak of 15db or whatever due to lack of sufficient room treatment.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Oh, i didnt read his link. I thought he was saying limit if there was a hypothetical peak of 15db or whatever due to lack of sufficient room treatment.
well, not even then - 'cause to find out if there is something wrong, you have to play: non-band limited pink noise...

btw: there may be a peak (but hardly ever as massive as +15dB) in the response (which is both what the speaker does and how the room lets the speaker perform) - but not what's coming out of the speaker unless the speaker is damaged! so there's no danger from a peak in the (combined) response.

what IS dangerous is when there's a massive dip in the response and one is trying to compensate with a massive boost via dsp: this may very well send the speakers into clipping or thermal death...
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
well, not even then - 'cause to find out if there is something wrong, you have to play: non-band limited pink noise...

btw: there may be a peak (but hardly ever as massive as +15dB) in the response (which is both what the speaker does and how the room lets the speaker perform) - but not what's coming out of the speaker unless the speaker is damaged! so there's no danger from a peak in the (combined) response.

what IS dangerous is when there's a massive dip in the response and one is trying to compensate with a massive boost via dsp: this may very well send the speakers into clipping or thermal death...
Good points, thanks for the responses, i think i agree with you. Full bandwidth for calibration.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Calibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickalpha View Post
I would like to now if using a limited band is more accurate
Your thread title says "calibrate studio monitors". Can you be a little more specific?

What's your purpose of this "calibration"?

Best

PS
You don't have to start a new thread for every question re your monitors
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear