The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weak studio wall
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Weak studio wall

In my non-pro recording room, I have a problem with background noise coming from outside.
I think this is due to the fact that 3 walls are concrete, but the 4th wall is a light office divider type.

That wall has no windows, just a door, but it doesn’t isolate from the traffic rumble that the adiacent room is picking up.

What options do I have to reinforce that wall?
I can apply self adhesive panels on the outer side, but what type do I need to see some results?

Thanks!
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

The aim will be to increase the surface density of the wall to match the other three. You could achieve that by demolishing the wall and replacing it with a concrete wall or you could add layers of plasterboard to the inside of the wall. Is this a building sitting on a solid foundation on the ground?
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Thank you starlight!

Yes, the building is solid and the room is at ground level.
I had a new special window installed just the other day, but some car rumble still gets through, so I guess the weak point is that slim wall.
I’m thinking about adding heavy isolating panels (10kg/m2) all over the wall, and then closing with plasterboard.

Sounds reasonable?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca79 View Post
Sounds reasonable?
Possibly. In principle, yes, but we cannot see nor check youir studio from here.

Once the wall has a similar mass to the other walls, what about the door? How do you plan to beef that up to match the wall and ensure it seals shut to keep the isolation level up? get some ideas from Storm Mastering - see post no. 8 in his build topic, here.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear