The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Bass Trap Tube
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head

DIY Bass Trap Tube

I want to make a DIY Tube Bass Trap. Can I fill a cardboard tube (30 cm diameter) with mineral wool or does the wool have to be on the outside?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buka View Post
I want to make a DIY Tube Bass Trap. Can I fill a cardboard tube (30 cm diameter) with mineral wool or does the wool have to be on the outside?
You can put the wool on the inside. It will just band limit the absorbtion. (Reflect HF)
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head

The question is, will there be a big difference in low frequency absorption?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The question is, will there be a big difference in low frequency absorption?
Same answer. Depending on the thickness of the cardboard you could get a membrane effect, increasing LF absorbtion slightly, but for the most part, LF doesnt care about cardboard.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head

Thanks.

I've seen most people make these traps only from rock wool, and I figured it would be easier (and more aesthetically) to just insert it into a large cardboard tube.

Anyway - do you think this solution makes sense?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.

I've seen most people make these traps only from rock wool, and I figured it would be easier (and more aesthetically) to just insert it into a large cardboard tube.

There is a thread around here that talks about fiberglass in cardboard boxes, i think they might have even done some testing. Might be worth a search.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.

I dont know your intentions so i cant comment on if it makes sense or not to me. It could be nice for in a live room as an addition to extensive bass trapping as you'll get some diffusion from the "poly" shape as well as the added LF absorbtion. You'd want multiple units though i assume. If it were just these for bass trapping i'd opt for more traditional traps, personally.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Head

Thank you guys.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear