The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panel Thickness or Maximum Room Coverage
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Panel Thickness or Maximum Room Coverage

Hello, I have been doing lots of research, but cannot find an answer to this question. For the parts of a room besides corners and ceiling, is it better to have four 4" panels, or eight 2" panels that can cover more space in the room?

I am building some panels of my own. I already have three 4x2x4 panels, and I was planning to make four more 4" panels. Now, I am considering whether to redistribute the rockwool to make just one 4" panel and six 2" panels.

Say I use two 4" panels for the ceiling and two 4" panels for the front corners, would I be better off with more 2" panels to cover the first reflection points and more surface area on the back, side, and front walls? Or stick to fewer 4" panels for those spots? My room is roughly 8'x12'x10' for reference.
Old 6th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by aergiluh View Post
Hello, I have been doing lots of research, but cannot find an answer to this question. For the parts of a room besides corners and ceiling, is it better to have four 4" panels, or eight 2" panels that can cover more space in the room?
It depends what the treatment is needed based on measurements.
Don't just build broad band panels just to build panels with no plan or understanding for them.

4" panels are better with a 4"gap from wall , but 8" thick is what is recommended and the entire surface with no spaces between.
Old 6th August 2020
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aergiluh View Post

I am building some panels of my own. I already have three 4x2x4 panels, and I was planning to make four more 4" panels. Now, I am considering whether to redistribute the rockwool to make just one 4" panel and six 2" panels.

Say I use two 4" panels for the ceiling and two 4" panels for the front corners, would I be better off with more 2" panels to cover the first reflection points and more surface area on the back, side, and front walls? Or stick to fewer 4" panels for those spots? My room is roughly 8'x12'x10' for reference.
For what i want to do, is a car better than a truck?

Its impossible to get good advice without all the relevant info.

What type of room? Mixing, tracking, voice over, restruant, etc... What are you trying to acheive? Rockwool is pretty vague, r40, r60, r80??? What are you using?
8x12x10... L,W,H?
📝 Reply