The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Square Room + Plywood Corners
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

Square Room + Plywood Corners

Hello ya'll,

I moved into a practically square room (12.3 x 12 x 8). It's all I have available in the new home, so relocating is not an option unfortunately. I have a good amount of treatment: 10 4 inch thick OC703 panels with air pockets. Before I distribute these around the room, I was wondering if I should maybe modify the walls a bit in order to try to reduce the amount of modal issues I'd be facing. I was thinking of straddling plywood about 3-4 feet wide and 8 feet tall into the corners behind my desk, making it into a semi pentagonal shape. I also have extra OC703 so I'd be stuffing it behind the plywood so that it's effectively a large corner chunk behind a new fake wall. What is everyones thoughts on this? I have access to a carpenter in the family, so any simple plywood adjustments could be easily made. I'm open to any ideas that will help me get rid of this modal mess. Thanks

I have attached a crude mock up of the room currently. Pretend it says 12.3 instead of 12.4
Attached Thumbnails
Square Room + Plywood Corners-screen-shot-2020-08-05-3.32.29-pm.jpg  
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

I would leave the room as is and fit as much bass trapping as possible. Maybe even flip the desks position so it faces the double doors, and line the rear wall with thick fluffly insulation, floor to ceiling along the entire wall. Ditto for the ceiling, as much bass trapping on the entire ceiling surface as possible. If there's a closet turn in into a bass trap.

Basically maximize the bass trapping, then deal with any residual reflections or decays, if there are any left over.
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
I would leave the room as is and fit as much bass trapping as possible. Maybe even flip the desks position so it faces the double doors, and line the rear wall with thick fluffly insulation, floor to ceiling along the entire wall. Ditto for the ceiling, as much bass trapping on the entire ceiling surface as possible. If there's a closet turn in into a bass trap.

Basically maximize the bass trapping, then deal with any residual reflections or decays, if there are any left over.
That would be great, unfortunately that closet is going to be gear storage/vocal booth

I can likely put some screws in the doors though and mount traps on them though! So you think that adjusting the wall angle won't really do anything?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
That would be great, unfortunately that closet is going to be gear storage/vocal booth

I can likely put some screws in the doors though and mount traps on them though! So you think that adjusting the wall angle won't really do anything?
The wall angle will eat up space. And since your going to have plenty of Absorbsion in the room, you've already got the mid/high reflections taken care of. Mid and high reflection are what angles can help. The angles can also skew the bass response, the last thing you need in a bass compromised sqaure room.

Maybe make the closet door a perforated panel to take advantage of the closets air space.

Best of luck!
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
The wall angle will eat up space. And since your going to have plenty of Absorbsion in the room, you've already got the mid/high reflections taken care of. Mid and high reflection are what angles can help. The angles can also skew the bass response, the last thing you need in a bass compromised sqaure room.

Maybe make the closet door a perforated panel to take advantage of the closets air space.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the input!

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for the input!

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Do not decrease the rooms volume. Kyle is correct, you need to cover as much of the available surfaces with THICK treatment. A small closet is not a good start for recording vox. You'd be better off recording in the big room after its treated properly.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
you need to cover as much of the available surfaces with THICK treatment. A small closet is not a good start for recording vox. You'd be better off recording in the big room after its treated properly.
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

Okay guys, I'm going to follow all this advice. Kinda bummed about the square room thing so I'm willing to do what it takes. What do ya'll think about me removing the doors from the closet and then just stuffing it with a ton of bags of roux or something, making it into a giant bass trap? In that case I'd be able to go ahead and cover the rest of that wall with the extra OC that I have in my garage.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay guys, I'm going to follow all this advice. Kinda bummed about the square room thing so I'm willing to do what it takes. What do ya'll think about me removing the doors from the closet and then just stuffing it with a ton of bags of roux or something, making it into a giant bass trap? In that case I'd be able to go ahead and cover the rest of that wall with the extra OC that I have in my garage.
Id have a look at the bass trap design in build it like the pros. It fills the "closet" area with fluffy fiberglass, and has some details in the corners.
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Id have a look at the bass trap design in build it like the pros. It fills the "closet" area with fluffy fiberglass, and has some details in the corners.
Will do! Probably going to run to the store and buy some rolled up R16 or whatever the rating is and stack it on one side of the closet. Here's my so far!

I have 9 4 inch panels up front behind the desk. As of right now I only had enough 703 to do a 4 inch wall on the rear, but that'll be increasing as I get my next order. I'm thinking of doing panels for the other walls so I can keep it symetrical in the near future as well. Enjoy some pics! Likely going to cover the back wall with whatever fabric. Anyone else have any advice on what I should do next?
Attached Thumbnails
Square Room + Plywood Corners-117260986_312261153258035_4644354077419905307_n.jpg   Square Room + Plywood Corners-117108035_759080858237141_6177046169087508380_n.jpg  
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear