The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking to sound treat my drum recording room
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

Looking to sound treat my drum recording room

Hello everyone!

As mentionned in the title, I am looking to sound treat my drum recording room. The room is 7.9' tall, 15' long and 13.1' large and has walls made out of cork for sound absorption.

I was thinking about adding bass traps to each corner of the room to absorb the bass frequencies that my drum kit creates. This would be the first thing to do when sound treating a room, right? I currently have two bass traps (see attached pictures) positionned on each upper corner of the room, I suppose they aren't very effective though.

I've also heard that positioning drum kits in the corner of rooms is a great trick to get good results when recording drums. Is that really the case?

Please let me know if there's something else I should consider doing.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post! :D

ayygurl
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to sound treat my drum recording room-cork-walls.jpg   Looking to sound treat my drum recording room-drum-kit.jpg  
Old 7th August 2020
Yes, you'll have most of the problems in bass region so bass traps are necessary. The four little things you have there are not basstraps BTW, they are decoration (sorry for being blunt).

I think even in a recording room, I'd shoot for even spectral decay so it would make sense if you could set up a (as full-range as possible) speaker in the room and measure it -- maybe with the measurement microphone in a room corner for maximum modal strength.

BTW: It could be that the cork hurts rather than helps but a measurement will tell you. If it does, you may be able to work around it with diffusion.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
BTW: It could be that the cork hurts rather than helps but a measurement will tell you. If it does, you may be able to work around it with diffusion.
It might well be. These cork panels have pretty poor absorption below 300Hz, almost non existent, especially when glued against the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to sound treat my drum recording room-qck-2-.png  
Old 12th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Yes, you'll have most of the problems in bass region so bass traps are necessary. The four little things you have there are not basstraps BTW, they are decoration (sorry for being blunt).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Sebastian View Post
It might well be. These cork panels have pretty poor absorption below 300Hz, almost non existent, especially when glued against the wall.
Noted. Thank you guys!

One more quick question though: how much of a difference do bass traps actually make? Is it something worth investing into even as a small musician?

Thanks again!
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayygurl View Post
Noted. Thank you guys!

One more quick question though: how much of a difference do bass traps actually make? Is it something worth investing into even as a small musician?

Thanks again!
Taking into account that you are a drummer, low frequency certainly plays a big role in your acoustic needs. If they are the right ones and fit for your purpose bass traps will make a substantial difference.

As johannburkard previously said and I quote:
"Yes, you'll have most of the problems in bass region so bass traps are necessary. The four little things you have there are not basstraps BTW, they are decoration (sorry for being blunt)." Very clear and concise answer.

Acoustics and the resulting "sound quality" of your recordings do not understand the concept of "small or big musician", sadly enough for your pocket.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayygurl View Post
Audible differences are getting smaller at some point I guess but the difference between a naked room and treated side walls (floor to ceiling), a ceiling cloud as well as a treated rear wall is dramatic.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

How does it sound in the room to you? You could start with a mono room mic, get a feel for how the room records, because mixing and tracking don't always need the same thing: you might want a livelier room if that's what you're going for, and maybe a bit of a diffusion on the walls closest to the drums.

If you go to crazy on absorption, you could suck the life out of the room... but maybe you're going for that dead 70s carpet-on-the-walls sound, who knows.

Walk around with your snare and find a spot where it sounds the best; setup your kit around there. Your snare is going to be the most prominent voice of the kit typically as you'll be hitting it the most frequently; do likewise with the floor tom, find a spot where they both sound good... because if it sounds good, it is good.
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

Sounds good! Thank you all for your help.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear