The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Different kind of drum riser for bedroom setup
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Different kind of drum riser for bedroom setup

Hi everyone,

Hope I'm asking this in the right place- I thought I saw a few other threads here that dealt with similar subjects. If I'm mistaken about that my bad, please feel free to ignore/remove this.

I'm working on setting up a small bedroom studio/practice space and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice re:drum platforms. I've read a bunch of threads here and elsewhere about different types of platforms (tennis balls ones and the like) but I'm still uncertain how to proceed.

I use a low-volume practice set up (Zildjian L80 cymbals and Remo Silent Stroke heads) which I'm told is audible but quiet in the living room above me and not audible in the other bedroom of my basement apartment. But I'm moving into a high rise soon and am worried about vibrations bugging the neighbors below me.

I'm also tight on floor space so I was thinking of building a raised platform with a few inches underneath- the drums would go on top and I could store stuff (possibly even my bed) underneath. Would such a platform effect vibrations going through the floor (for better or for worse)? Is it worth trying to modify it so the legs of the platform are decoupled from the floor via tennis balls, some sort of foam, etc.?

Thanks very much!
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

The most acoustically effective drum riser I have come across is described here. It is one post in a longer topic that started with an amp riser and then moved on to a drum riser for a home studio on an upper floor.

PS. The photo shows I have been where you are, with SilentStroke heads on mineral wool filled drums, L80 cymbals with carpet, and fleece on everything I hit plus foam added to the drum pedal just so that I can play after my wife went to bed. I call them my drum pyjamas.
Attached Thumbnails
Different kind of drum riser for bedroom setup-4092drumpyjamas.jpg  
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
The most acoustically effective drum riser I have come across is described here. It is one post in a longer topic that started with an amp riser and then moved on to a drum riser for a home studio on an upper floor.

PS. The photo shows I have been where you are, with SilentStroke heads on mineral wool filled drums, L80 cymbals with carpet, and fleece on everything I hit plus foam added to the drum pedal just so that I can play after my wife went to bed. I call them my drum pyjamas.
Great- thanks for the info!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear