The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
diffuser well walls?
Old 4th August 2020
diffuser well walls?

Hi audio friends,

I'm redoing my control room and am building some rear wall diffusers. Here's my question: what purpose do the well walls serve in a 1 dimensional quadratic diffuser? It would be so much easier to build without the walls, right? What would be the audible difference between with well walls and without well walls?

Thanks!
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head

The design doesn't work without the walls since it relies on "wells" of different depths generating reflections with phase differences (grossly simplified explanation) - removing the walls will attenuate or eliminate this effect.

If you want a simpler design, look at bent board (catenary) diffuser designs. Essentially a bent board (NOT on a shaped bulkhead, etc.) gives you a shape that is a concatenation of curves of different radii - you get the same curve in 2D in a washing line suspended at both ends. Works very well for diffusion.

Regards,
John

Last edited by Shrdni; 4th August 2020 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Update to add catenary suggestion
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

You can use burnt wood cladding services for your studio. Burnt wood surrounds the sound really nicely and it looks great. It also doesn't require a lot of maintenance, so you won't need to clean it often. I used it in my studio and it works great!
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justelio View Post
You can use burnt wood cladding services for your studio. Burnt wood surrounds the sound really nicely and it looks great. It also doesn't require a lot of maintenance, so you won't need to clean it often. I used it in my studio and it works great!
Yes, it could look nice, but could you elaborate a bit on how and why burnt wood "surrounds" the sound, and what this has to do with the OP original question about wells in a quadratic diffuser?
Is this "surround" effect just achieved by the products of that specific company in your link or can I burn my own wood with this https://www.boringcompany.com/not-a-flamethrower

Do you think that if I barnish the burnt wood with snake oil I could achieve unknown levels of diffusion? What kind of brush or roller should I use?
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrdni View Post
The design doesn't work without the walls since it relies on "wells" of different depths generating reflections with phase differences (grossly simplified explanation) - removing the walls will attenuate or eliminate this effect.

If you want a simpler design, look at bent board (catenary) diffuser designs. Essentially a bent board (NOT on a shaped bulkhead, etc.) gives you a shape that is a concatenation of curves of different radii - you get the same curve in 2D in a washing line suspended at both ends. Works very well for diffusion.

Regards,
John
Good observation.
But, considering your remarks, how does a skyline work?
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
Good observation.
But, considering your remarks, how does a skyline work?
Well, my "remarks" are really my mostly failed attempt to recall and summarize a study of these devices that was posted on Studio Tips several years (maybe over a decade ago) IIRC the phase differences that are the basis of how these devices work are lessened when the walls between the wells are removed and that this affects devices based on lower order sequences to a greater effect than those built from larger numbers. I have seen 3D numeric sequence diffusers with well walls - I assume the "skyline" devices that lack them are just a bit less efficient or precise. But I am not sure if the analysis I am trying to recall even applies to 3D-type devices.

Re-reading my original post, I was probably over-stating things by saying a QRD or PRD design would not work without the well walls - I expect it will still work but not as effectively - more lobes, etc.

I'd put more weight on my suggestion for bent-board diffusers (which I have actually built and used) than my attempt to remember a paper on acoustics.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,
John
📝 Reply