The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocalbooth Challenge: Triangular Corner Booth
Old 4th August 2020
Vocalbooth Challenge: Triangular Corner Booth

Hello to you all!

It is the first time that I'm posting to the forum, but I come to Gearslutz to research since 2010. I read many posts, but could not find any threads here that help with my situation (but if I failed to find it, I'm very sorry!)

I'm building a vocal booth to record vocals and acoustic instruments since I can't afford to have a room big enough to fit all acoustic issues. I'm using a room very small (9'x8') to work on my projects and it's already full with my gear. Beyond that, I live close to a road with heavy traffic, and my room is close to my kitchen and live room...

I plan to use the corner of the room to place the booth, in a triangular shape, with heavy isolation. I have read on the internet that it's possible to get a decent sound if I put good bass traps on the corners, but I'm not sure.

Can I go forward with this? It's possible to get good results if the booth is well treated? Below is an image of the sketch with the dimensions. If so, I will be moving on to study the best acoustic treatment possible.

Thanks in advance! Later!
Attached Thumbnails
Vocalbooth Challenge: Triangular Corner Booth-booth-1-.jpg  
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielteclas View Post

Can I go forward with this?
You can go forward with what you wish.

Quote:
It's possible to get good results if the booth is well treated? Below is an image of the sketch with the dimensions. If so, I will be moving on to study the best acoustic treatment possible.

Thanks in advance! Later!
The short answer is no.

The long answer is if you really care about the vocal takes, its best to book a built out recording studio and record vocals there. Bring it back home to mix if you like. Will save you all the trouble and disappointment.
Old 5th August 2020
thethrillfactor, thanks. I understand. May I go in retangular shape? Or this fashion of whisper rooms just can't be good in recording?
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

You have been spared, from inherent danger too. Imagine if you had built... The Bermuda Triangle? All certainly, would have been lost!
For anything "important", rehearse elsewhere, then get it recorded professionally-like Thrill said.
Chris
Old 5th August 2020
Quote:
thethrillfactor, thanks. I understand. May I go in retangular shape? Or this fashion of whisper rooms just can't be good in recording?
A rectangular or pentagon( 5 sides) can definitely work.

Your issue is less the shape and more the amount of space needed to not only soundproof it properly, but the internal space to treat the resonances created in such a small room.

Also no where you mention ventilation? Should the talent in the vocal booth not have air conditioning to feel comfortable an be able to perform properly? Are they not afforded the right? What about when it gets cold outside in the winter time, but the booth still feels like a sauna if its sealed correctly. The talent still needs to be cool in the booth. Is your air conditioning system designed to run below 32 degrees?

I am always surprised every time someone post a design for a home built "vocal booth" and there is no plans in the design for ventilation. Then the thing gets built and the next question is how do i go about cooling it cause i am sweating? Huh? Really?

Also what about the wiring? You have to plan how to get all the wiring in and out with no leaks for not just electrical, but the audio and the lights. Do you not want lights in the booth? Sure helps if you have to read your lyrics from paper.

A vocal booth is still a room designed for audio recording. All the principles in studio design still apply, just at a smaller scale.
Old 6th August 2020
First of all, thanks for you patience guys! I may survive the curse of the bermuda, hehe.

As for the ventilation and wiring, my room is already set to fit these needs, but I am aware that I can't work with those on the booth if isn't suitable first!

I will move around with the space that I have and will read more about pentagon (or diamond?) shapes and assimilate the existing knowledge of the acoustics of those.

Thanks a'lot for the advice! I will share my results soon as possible!
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

IMHO for the "acoustically challenged" (like me)... The Beyer M88TG and Beyer M201TG are nice mics, that avoid a lot of bad room tone.
Not the ultimate solution, but those do help, in a less than ideal room.
Chris
📝 Reply