The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this a bad vocal booth?
Old 3rd August 2020
Is this a bad vocal booth?

Here's a YouTube clip of the booth: https://youtu.be/FWXawN9JLhc

I have foam base traps in the corner which I've been told they don't do anything for bass.
My Mic use to sound harsh which I kinda liked but that was with no acoustic treatment.
When I record my vocals they don't feel hype with energy like they use to. It's effected my confidences when rapping into the Mic because it doesn't sound the same.

If this booth is bad any suggestions I can do to fix this.
Old 4th August 2020
Old 4th August 2020
do you record with that AC unit/dehumidifier running?
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

So is your title asking if it's a bad . . . vocal booth? Or a bad vocal . . . booth?

Sorry I couldn't resist . . .
Old 5th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
do you record with that AC unit/dehumidifier running?
I left it on in the YouTube video cuz it was hot but when recording vocals ill turn it off
Old 9th August 2020
Old 11th August 2020
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onshott1 View Post
It's effected my confidences when raping ...
I wouldn't say that in public, if I were you. Better still, don't rape.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I wouldn't say that in public, if I were you. Better still, don't rape.
Lol met to say rapping gonna edited it
Old 13th August 2020
Well the curtain won't keep any exterior noise out.

If you're in a quiet place, acoustics will likely be a problem.

What is on the ceiling above the booth? If you have any foam left over, put some up there. Or better, you can put some acoustic panels up there.

You don't have any bass trapping in the corner but that foam doesn't absorb much in the bass.

Those Auralex LENRD foam bass traps work ok for vocals. Put them in the corner

A step up from that would be to get thick acoustic panels with fabric on the back as well and straddle the corners with them.

So basically, you probably have no treatment on the ceiling and no bass trapping. That will cause a build up of the low frequencies bouncing back because this foam doesn't absorb low frequencies well.
Old 18th August 2020
Can a mic that has a lot of high end counteract me not having proper bass traps?
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can a mic that has a lot of high end counteract me not having proper bass traps?
No, because by counterbalancing the bass with a mic that has a lot of high end you are thinking EQ but because you have insuffient bass trapping the bass is in fact an excess of reflected sounds, sounds that arrive a short time later because they have bounced off hard surfaces and end up at the mic. The bass is thus a time-based issue whereas a trebly mic is a frequency based issue. You cannot fix a time-based problem with EQ so sorry, your idea will not solve the problem. In a nutshell, you will need adequate bass trapping.

Last edited by Starlight; 18th August 2020 at 11:03 PM..
Old 19th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
No, because by counterbalancing the bass with a mic that has a lot of high end you are thinking EQ but because you have insuffient bass trapping the bass is in fact an excess of reflected sounds, sounds that arrive a short time later because they have bounced off hard surfaces and end up at the mic. The bass is thus a time-based issue whereas a trebly mic is a frequency based issue. You cannot fix a time-based problem with EQ so sorry, your idea will not solve the problem. In a nutshell, you will need adequate bass trapping.
Great answer thanks a million. Do you have any advice for tracking without base traps
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Great answer thanks a million. Do you have any advice for tracking without base traps
You're asking the wrong questions.

Stay as far away from the corners of the room as possible.

Why not just look at making your own bass traps? It's not expensive.

Detailed condenser mics will pick up the whole room. There's no way around that unless you use a dynamic mic which will sound more like a stage mic than a studio mic. A more detailed dynamic mic like an Sm7b would cost you more than bass trapping anyway and would sound worse than a condenser mic unless you're just doing a podcast or something.

Like I said before, you're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking how to get or make bass traps. Go checkout the acoustic section and studio building section of the forum or do a search on the site and you'll find plenty of information.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwatson View Post

Detailed condenser mics will pick up the whole room. There's no way around that unless you use a dynamic mic which will sound more like a stage mic than a studio mic. A more detailed dynamic mic like an Sm7b would cost you more than bass trapping anyway and would sound worse than a condenser mic unless you're just doing a podcast or something.

Like I said before, you're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking how to get or make bass traps. Go checkout the acoustic section and studio building section of the forum or do a search on the site and you'll find plenty of information.
It's gonna be a while before I can start a bass trap project.
You said to stay away from the corners and the wall even with the acoustic foam blocking. Hope this helps a bit
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The sm7b is a world class vocal mic. Just because a mic uses a condenser design, doesn't make it better than a dynamic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
The sm7b is a world class vocal mic. Just because a mic uses a condenser design, doesn't make it better than a dynamic.
I'm conflicted but these two answers about dynamic mics not being as good as condeser
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm conflicted but these two answers about dynamic mics not being as good as condeser
Well any pro studio has both, and both have been used on recordings you've heard.

One is not inherently better or worse just because its a dynamic or condenser. Its what is best on a per voice, per location, basis.

Thinking that a "condenser is better" by default, is just a statement that lacks experience and understanding of the recording arts. That's not meant as an insult, many people think that until they become more experienced.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If I'm just recording myself, I usually prefer a dynamic for punchier stuff. Gentler/more Ballad style, I prefer one of my condensers usually, largely for more detail.
I ALWAYS sing better in front of a live Audience, (remember those? ) or someone else recording me.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
It is my understanding that the only well known song that used an Sm7b is Michael Jackson's Thriller.

However, if you were to list songs that used a U87 or Sony c800g, you'd have literally millions of popular songs.

It's not as detailed as a condenser period. I'm not saying a Sm7b sucks or is not a good mic but dynamic mics just aren't as detailed as condenser mics. That's just a fact. I'd never suggest buying one just to avoid buying acoustic treatment given that the mic costs more than acoustic treatment anyway!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
You said to stay away from the corners and the wall even with the acoustic foam blocking. Hope this helps a bit
Well bass reflects the most from corners so a corner is the worst place to be. Also foam absorbs very little bass except for very large Auralex corner bass traps which do absorb some bass but they're not much cheaper than insulation filled acoustic panels and bass traps and with any of those, you still would be better off away from the corner.

Even the foam you have is low density. The more expensive foam like the Auralex stuff has more petroleum in it and will sparkle in the light for that reason. Yours doesn't sparkle so it probably is low density. The lower the density, the worse it will work. Insulation works much better than foam and is cheaper than the expensive foam. Small rooms need more bass trapping. You have the smallest possible room but no bass trapping.

Therefore, if you increase the size of the room, it will be a little better but you're still avoiding the problems rather than fixing them.

Are you in the US? Just buy some acoustic panels from ATS Acoustics or GIK Acoustics and straddle the corners with them if you don't want to make your own.

Or you can buy those Auralex Mondo bass traps and fill all of the corners with them. They will absorb less subs those than the 4" or thicker acoustic panels though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is my understanding that the only well known song that used an Sm7b is Michael Jackson's Thriller.

However, if you were to list songs that used a U87 or Sony c800g, you'd have literally millions of popular songs.

It's not as detailed as a condenser period. I'm not saying a Sm7b sucks or is not a good mic but dynamic mics just aren't as detailed as condenser mics. That's just a fact. I'd never suggest buying one just to avoid buying acoustic treatment given that the mic costs more than acoustic treatment anyway!
FWIW the SM7 has been used on MANY other hit songs and albums.
(after work today I can list some more-if you wish)

Someone who has used the SM7 their almost their entire recording career,
is Marshall Crenshaw. Who has a terrific voice BTW.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Well bass reflects the most from corners so a corner is the worst place to be. Also foam absorbs very little bass except for very large Auralex corner bass traps which do absorb some bass but they're not much cheaper than insulation filled acoustic panels and bass traps and with any of those, you still would be better off away from the corner.

Even the foam you have is low density. The more expensive foam like the Auralex stuff has more petroleum in it and will sparkle in the light for that reason. Yours doesn't sparkle so it probably is low density. The lower the density, the worse it will work. Insulation works much better than foam and is cheaper than the expensive foam. Small rooms need more bass trapping. You have the smallest possible room but no bass trapping.

Therefore, if you increase the size of the room, it will be a little better but you're still avoiding the problems rather than fixing them.

Are you in the US? Just buy some acoustic panels from ATS Acoustics or GIK Acoustics and straddle the corners with them if you don't want to make your own.

Or you can buy those Auralex Mondo bass traps and fill all of the corners with them. They will absorb less subs those than the 4" or thicker acoustic panels though.
I'm in Canada, thanks for the advice, I'm thinking of buying the real bass traps reflection filter or something like this http://www.economik.com/vicoustic/flexi-screen-ultra/

Anything being shipped from the state's right now takes forever because of covid.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I'm in Canada, thanks for the advice, I'm thinking of buying the real bass traps reflection filter or something like this http://www.economik.com/vicoustic/flexi-screen-ultra/
Those don't do much if anything at all. It's a borderline scam. Sound comes from all directions and the back of the mic is the least sensitive part when in Cardioid. Look up some before and after videos on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

You can make your own acoustic panels very easily and cheaply since Rockwool/Roxul can be found very easily in Canada at the hardware store.

Or, at least fill all the corners with those Auralex Lenrd foam Bass Traps. You can probably get those from most music stores over there. They don't do much for subs but for vocals, they will help a lot. Far more than you silly reflection filter would. That thing won't stop any bass from bouncing back at all.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Those don't do much if anything at all. It's a borderline scam. Sound comes from all directions and the back of the mic is the least sensitive part when in Cardioid. Look up some before and after videos on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

You can make your own acoustic panels very easily and cheaply since Rockwool/Roxul can be found very easily in Canada at the hardware store.

Or, at least fill all the corners with those Auralex Lenrd foam Bass Traps. You can probably get those from most music stores over there. They don't do much for subs but for vocals, they will help a lot. Far more than you silly reflection filter would. That thing won't stop any bass from bouncing back at all.
I'm assuming the auralex foam works better then the ones I bought off Amazon. if I go that route will it make a big difference.
Would this bass trap be a better buy to put in one corner with the curtain used to make a booth https://www.long-mcquade.com/73914/P...-Bass-Trap.htm
Old 2 weeks ago
This $355 sheet of foam will make everything better. It will make your vocal booth as pro is it gets. In fact most people are happiest when theyve placed a minimum of 8 of these magic acoustic devices in their vocal booths. So yes, after spending $2,480 on foam, it definately makes a difference! A huge difference!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
This $355 sheet of foam will make everything better. It will make your vocal booth as pro is it gets. In fact most people are happiest when theyve placed a minimum of 8 of these magic acoustic devices in their vocal booths. So yes, after spending $2,480 on foam, it definately makes a difference! A huge difference!
I ask because I'm skeptical because the cheaper Amazon ones didn't work, and how much of this foam would I have to put in the corners. They seem very small in size. I can't image only putting one in each corner
Old 2 weeks ago
What does your booth even sound like As it is now? I really would not be putting much more money into "treating" it with foam. my acoustic treatment plan for a room like this. Would be to try to use carpeting (long fiber carpeting works best) as a material, or to suspend some kinda heavy fabric from the ceiling different lengths widths (doesnt have to be floor to ceiling if you dont want). Could implement a sort of diaphramatic design into wall panels: make a frame out of 1"x2" pine board, Staple carpet remnants onto the frame. Then carpet the other side. Make another frame and do it again. Fastening each carpeted frame together. Repeat this process to reach a desired depth. What youre looking to do is sandwich the carpet together while leaving air space inbetween the layers because of the 1"x2" pine framing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Carpet is not an effective material for acoustical treatment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Dont knock it till you try it.

FOAM bass traps arent effective.......

For a vocal booth such as this. the acoustic treatment I have described actually is more effective in several areas of improvement: in meeting the budget, purpose requirements of the room, and all around is going to make more of a difference to how the room sounds/behaves than a couple of $355 pieces of foam.
πŸ“ Reply